Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing Breck Epic 2019?

Just under 2 months out and it will be here before you know it.

This will be my 2nd year doing it and I am looking forward to it once again.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, 1st timer - training has been going great! Wondering how I can attach the oxygen tank to my bike!!
D
Oxygen is overrated.

Seriously. What elevation do you live and ride at? I live and 1800 ft and do summer training rides from 5500 to 9300. Last year I did several training rides with lots of miles over 7000ft. Maxed out at 9300 a so. Still lower than starting evening at Breck which is at 9500 or so. For me the altitude was not an issue till over 11,500 and was only just two days up that high. First of these we just touched 12k twice and the 2nd was brute up to 12.5k with and hour and half over 12k feet. I won't say I was at max watts given the altitude, but I did feet any issues. The other thing to remember is there is a lot of 10% climbs that last for 20 minutes to 1 hour. Some times multiple of these per stage.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Oxygen is overrated.

Seriously. What elevation do you live and ride at? I live and 1800 ft and do summer training rides from 5500 to 9300. Last year I did several training rides with lots of miles over 7000ft. Maxed out at 9300 a so. Still lower than starting evening at Breck which is at 9500 or so. For me the altitude was not an issue till over 11,500 and was only just two days up that high. First of these we just touched 12k twice and the 2nd was brute up to 12.5k with and hour and half over 12k feet. I won't say I was at max watts given the altitude, but I did feet any issues. The other thing to remember is there is a lot of 10% climbs that last for 20 minutes to 1 hour. Some times multiple of these per stage.
According to Google I live at 299' above sea level! I have to drive 90min to get to decent hills (doing that numerous times from now till the race) and have a weekend training camp as well.

I've been to Crested Butte and ridden up to the top of the 401 Trail (10,400') with no issues, also raced in Steam Boat Springs with no issues but Breck is a different beast all together.

Good point with the 10% climbs lasting 20-60min, had many of those doing the BCBR a couple years ago, suffer, suffer, suffer...

D

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time for me. Heading over from the UK. Stoke level at 9 and climbing.

I've done the last cpl of months training on a fat bike as an altitude replacement. Gotta make do with what you have!

·
Registered
676 Posts
First time for me. Heading over from the UK. Stoke level at 9 and climbing.

I've done the last cpl of months training on a fat bike as an altitude replacement. Gotta make do with what you have!
Welcome to the MTRB and absolutely on the fattie!!! There is a thread somewhere about training for ultra distance races and someone commented (the short version) that they rode the wrong bike for all occasions in training. The Fat bike on the road, the single speed for all hill work, etc...

Currently, I have heavy rims, heavy brake rotors, old tires and heavy tubes, plus 2T higher gearing than what I plan on using for Breck, let the suffering start from now. I'll change everything except for the gearing out about 10 days before and the gearing just before I pack up the bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have done the Breck Epic 3 times now 2012 the year the rains came, 2013 and 2017 great event in spectacular area of the country. I always factor a race or two into annual vacations from N Ireland. As a flatlander residing at 300ft above sea level, going up to 9600 to 12000ft is a shock to the system. Its been a heavy snow year in CO and I know from friends living out there that some sections presently not passable with snow pack. the event is still a few weeks out so will be interesting to see if it clears out or will there be re-routing.

anyway youll have a great weeks riding. I will be out there also in Breck for a few days riding and drinking beers before tackling a 12hr event in Winter Park. if you need any further intel about the event or riding in CO shoot me a pm

enjoy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm coming out for my first time. Doing the 3 day solo (days 1-3). I'm also a flatlander from Michigan. I'm a bit nervous about riding at that elevation and my training this year hasn't been what I'd hoped it would be. I do at least have a decent endurance racing background (3x-Big Frog 65, 3x Mohican 100k, and 4x Lumberjack 100) so I'm hoping that's enough to get me by. Not there to "race" either. Just want to have some fun and ride some amazing trails!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... Its been a heavy snow year in CO and I know from friends living out there that some sections presently not passable with snow pack. the event is still a few weeks out so will be interesting to see if it clears out or will there be re-routing. .
enjoy
Last year there was zero snow in August during the race. This year? hard to say for sure, but I expect it will be either all gone or patchy at worst. I suspect a few patchy areas of snow will be no issue and when you look at it there is only French Pass and Wheeler that get really high. In 2017 I did some riding in the San Juan's in early late june and there was lots of snow patches at 10500 feet. Then 5 days later it was gone except for over 11,500 feet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last year there was zero snow in August during the race. This year? hard to say for sure, but I expect it will be either all gone or patchy at worst. I suspect a few patchy areas of snow will be no issue and when you look at it there is only French Pass and Wheeler that get really high. In 2017 I did some riding in the San Juan's in early late june and there was lots of snow patches at 10500 feet. Then 5 days later it was gone except for over 11,500 feet.
Hi

very true re French pass and Wheeler, I will not miss the death march over both lol, I hope it clears. I will be out in CO for 3 weeks riding from August 3rd so looking forward to it, good luck to all taking part, youll have a a blast

1,328 Posts
well, ya probably saw the news but...

French Pass (and the Guyot loop) are most certainly off the table

Vegetation Mountainous landforms Plant community Highland Hill

and Wheeler is also highly unlikely. I'd love to see Lenawee (but how to do it without repeating trails, coming back through Zuma?) and the dirty copper triangle incorporated somehow but we'll see

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I heard about French and Wheeler. I did not see pictures of French. Yeah that is a big mess. It could be cleaned, but it will take either a long time or lots of people and chain saws to do it.

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
well, ya probably saw the news but...

French Pass (and the Guyot loop) are most certainly off the table

View attachment 1264701

and Wheeler is also highly unlikely. I'd love to see Lenawee (but how to do it without repeating trails, coming back through Zuma?) and the dirty copper triangle incorporated somehow but we'll see
Mike Mac has requested input from you, the riders, as to suggestions for alternate routes for the Guyot & Wheeler stages; you can goto the FB page and comment.

I'm bummed that unavoidable back surgery has me sidelined this season but I hope to see you all again next year. Good fortune to all racers!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bummed about the Guyot stage. That descent over Georgia Pass is one of the best rides I've had. I hope Mike can find a way to still include it without French, if that is possible.

I will say, I volunteered a few years ago and was stationed on the "other side" of Guyot, it was a 2.5 hour one-way drive to get out there. Kind of a logistical nightmare from the organization standpoint, so that's a plus for the volunteers not having us go over there.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.