Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Breck Epic - July 2009
That's right, we've received provisional approval from the powers that be to begin putting the pieces in place for an event launch in 2009. The website (www.breckepic.com) will go live in two weeks and we'll have a ton more information available at that time, but here are the broad strokes:

Date:
- It'll take place during the second or third week of July. This is the 'great weather window' up here in the mountains (and the only time our caterer can do it!)

Format:
- 5 stages plus a prologue off-road TT
- The stages will be Monday-Friday with the prologue taking place on Sunday afternoon.
- Solo categories will be offered, but we'll be reviewing resumes prior to accepting
- A field limit will be in place (approximately 400 riders)
- Categories are still TBD, but we'll be taking our cues from the pioneers in the format, the Trans-Rockies guys and the BC Bike Race folks (and on that note, we take our hats off to both of them for establishing such an amazing format and for so graciously allowing us to so blatantly rip it off.)

Course/Venue Information:
- There will be a strong emphasis on course quality. You can expect very little road riding and even gravel and fire road riding will be minimized. The Breck Epic is intended to be a rugged backcountry experience.
- We'll use a 'cloverleaf' model with each stage starting and finishing in Breckenridge
- That means that we'll use ONE campground and will have no transfers
- Lodging will also be available.
- Attn: Weekend Warriors: if you're the type of guy who likes to give yourself one extreme challenge once a year...well, this is not the event for you. The courses will be long. They will be difficult. 90% of the terrain will be above 10,000 feet. Cut-off times will be strictly enforced.

Pricing:
- TBD
- we will begin to take refundable deposits on October 15th. Upon applicant's acceptance, final pricing and confirmation deposits will be non-refundable. They will however be transferrable, but all selection criteria will apply.

Other:
- The organizers will offer 4 spots in the race (either solo entries or 50% off a team entry) in exchange for blog-style race editorial outlining race preparation and actual race experience. Applicants must satisfy athletic criteria and submit writing samples. We will begin accepting applicants for 'Breck Epic Blogger's Grants' beginning October 15th as well.
- The Breck Epic will be a "Team IMBA" event
- The food, coffee and beer will be pro-grade. We're not screwing around there. The riding will be ok too.

Why Breck?:
Because there's a great story here, plain and simple. In conjunction with Summit County Open Space and the USFS, the Breckenridge Open Space Advisory Committee (BOSAC) along with the full support of the Breckenridge Town Council has made trail access, maintenance and construction as well as the outright purchase of open space parcels for the express use of recreationalists a community-wide priority. It's amazingly forward-thinking of them and their foresight and vision in tandem with a trail network here in the Dillon Ranger District whose sheer size, sprawl and connectivity defy comprehension make Breck and greater Summit County ideal for epic, backcountry loop-style riding.

The Breck Epic will donate all race profits to these open space entities and in subsequent years will initiate a grant program by which applicants with a vested interest in open space may apply for a portion of the race's profits. We'd like the Breck Epic to underwrite and reward good work in the community, and as a commercial user of the backcountry we feel that it's incumbent upon us to give back in a meaningful and measurable way. Our immediate goal is to underwrite one additional seasonal staff member for both the USFS and BOSAC. Funds will be donated to these two entities with the explicit condition that they be used to further trail maintenance, improvements and building.

Wanna stay updated as more info becomes available? Send me your email addy. You can get me at [email protected]. I'll put you on our email list (which will remain 100% private and will forward relevant race info only.) By subscribing to the Breck Epic list you'll also receive race blogs and results delivered to your inbox as they're received from our blogging team.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. Many of you waited with baited breath as we talked up the Colorado Epic for the past two years and I appreciate your support and enthusiasm. I know that I speak for all of us when I sat that the Breck Epic team is pretty excited to get this ambitious project underway.

MM

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
kudos

MavSports said:
The Breck Epic will donate all race profits to these open space entities and in subsequent years will initiate a grant program by which applicants with a vested interest in open space may apply for a portion of the race's profits. We'd like the Breck Epic to underwrite and reward good work in the community, and as a commercial user of the backcountry we feel that it's incumbent upon us to give back in a meaningful and measurable way.
:thumbsup:
now that's forward thinking and good practice!

(note to self: train harder next year).

;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm thinking that 2008 will be the last year that Breck, and the rest of Summit, is off the radar for the average mtn biker. Very few places have enough singletrack from the same start point to accommodate this type of race. The Mavsports crew are definitely big ambassadors for the area. With my experiences at the mavsports races, this will be one well run event. I only wish I had the abilities/ time to train for this type of race.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Whambat said:
I'm thinking that 2008 will be the last year that Breck, and the rest of Summit, is off the radar for the average mtn biker. Very few places have enough singletrack from the same start point to accommodate this type of race. The Mavsports crew are definitely big ambassadors for the area. With my experiences at the mavsports races, this will be one well run event. I only wish I had the abilities/ time to train for this type of race.
Breck is hardly a secret to Front range folks. I see more and more cars at the trailheads, especially the better known ones from out of town folks. All that said, there are still plenty of trails that you can ride, even during the peak times where you might not see a single person for hours. The future for more non motorized single track looks good too in the Golden Horseshoe.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some mixed feeling about more people on the trails but on the whole, I'd much rather see folks spending their time doing something healthy and relatively low impact than driving in circles for 15 minutes so they can get a parking space right in front of a t-shirt shop or real estate office.

Of course the chamber of commerce folks want visitors to spend lots of money. Does the average mountain biker from out of town spend as much money as the typical main street shopper? Probably not, but I'm OK with that, but then, I'm not a Chamber member. It will probably help with our image if all you mountian biking visitors will spend a little time walking up and down Main street with a couple shopping bags in your hands. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.