Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
feel the Force
546 Posts
Having just come back from the Firecracker, I'd say no worries with the snow being unpassable. Yes, there probably will be a snowfield to cross up on Wheeler Pass (loop 1), but there typically is. The rest of the course will be bone dry. A few wetter spots, like halfway up the Peaks trail, but nothing to be concerned about.

·
upgrade until you suck
190 Posts
Ooh, I'll be out there! I just got my 29er rebuilt for 100 mile duty (gears, Ergons, new wheels), so I'm good to go apart from driving the 13+ hours. Is it seriously starting at 9am this year, or is there a huge typo on the site?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw that 9am start time too, and thought that must be wrong. Who knows? I emailed them for clarification; no word yet.
Course conditions seem good. I rode peaks trail and loop 3 on July 2nd and the trails were good and dry. I am going to ride wheeler and loop 2 on the 8th to check that out.
Walt

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Right now Wheeler is the only place you should run into snow and the melt rate has really accelerated in the last week, plus we've been getting rain and that will melt it even faster. I'm going to guess there will be a little more snow up there than there has been in previous years, but not so much that it makes a big impact on the race.

Don't know about the 9:00am start other than that doesn't sound right at all. One of the biggest reasons for the early start is the Forest Service doesn't want people out there after dark for wildlife reasons. It's why there's a cutoff at Boreas Pass. I don't think you'd have too many finishers with a none O'clock start.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rode loop 2 on Monday and loop 3 on Tuesday. No snow.

We didn't attempt Wheeler because it looked pretty snowy. We did ride up to the top of French Pass on accident (don't know elevation, but I think it's at least 12,000) and there was 1 short snowy spot. Nothing major. I would think Wheeler would be OK based on that, but I don't know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I rode the Wheeler loop 1 on tuesday the 8th. There were two small snowfields about 50 yards max, that you had to cross after you traverse down from the junction of the 4 wheel road and the singletrack on the east side. After that it was snow free!
Walt

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Dirthound said:
It looks like the first lap route changed form last year? Anyone have any insight to the difference, such as more or less technical?
It's the same loop from the year prior to last. It's a little technical, but not too much on the backside of the peak but then you have the paved bike trail back to Frisco. Last year was better because the hike-a-bike factor was equal for all up on Miners. This year I'll be sucking wheels on that bike path or I'll be spinning out like a monkey.

I'm thinking Lap 2 changed as well - but shoot, I have never really looked at the map of the route all that close - i just followed the orange flags the last 2 years.

I'd say that the gearies have an advantage on Lap 1, butthen I know full well how Tim Gradcyck rocked the SS there 2 seasons ago.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Loop 1 is back to the original configuration. There will be a lot less pushing, time spent above treeline and super technical portions.

Loop 2 has been changed to make for a little less climbing. It will still have a lot of nice single track, but not the big west ridge climb.

From what Thane tells me the purpose of all this is to make it a little easier and give more people a better opportunity to make the cutoff and finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.