Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to put in for vacation now for all of 2010. I've done Leadville but and looking seriously at the Breckenridge 100. Reading similar posts I'm getting the feeling Breck is harder...true? I know it's subjective, but what makes Breck harder? More singletrack? Harder climbs? Do you need a GPS and some breadcrumbs to stay on the course? I'll be in the back just trying to finish so that's a concern (no pre-ride time). I ride a 29 HT if that helps with the advice.

Lottery aside, if you could do either for free, where would you spend the day?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
suffrfest said:
I have to put in for vacation now for all of 2010. I've done Leadville but and looking seriously at the Breckenridge 100. Reading similar posts I'm getting the feeling Breck is harder...true? I know it's subjective, but what makes Breck harder? More singletrack? Harder climbs? Do you need a GPS and some breadcrumbs to stay on the course? I'll be in the back just trying to finish so that's a concern (no pre-ride time). I ride a 29 HT if that helps with the advice.

Lottery aside, if you could do either for free, where would you spend the day?
Having raced the Leadville 100 once and ridden all of the Breck 100 course......my personal opinion would say that the Breck 100 is much tougher.

Leadville is a great event....but the course in comparison is not as difficult as the Breck 100 course, in my opinion. The Breck 100 uses a clover leaf design....each loop is distinctly different. You see it all in Breck....lots of big nasty climbs, lots of singletrack, sketchy fireroad descents, hike-a-bikes, etc, etc. Basically every thing that 'is' mountain biking is in the Breck 100 course.

Navigation at the Breck 100 over the past few years has had some negative vibes. Last minute course changes and generally bad course marking decisions have got'n some folks lost. All I can say is look at the course maps...keep your head up....and get ready for a mtb adventure.

If I had the choice to do either, I would do the Breck 100. You can look at winning race times between Leadville and Breck....that should give you a good idea.

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I can't speak to the Leadville 100 because I've never been able to get past the lottery. The Breck 100 however is incredible, in all ways. If you look at the top finishers, which is not me, the time difference between Leadville and Breck is around 2 hours. This gives you a pretty good indication of the difference in the course. The Breck starts out with a climb up and over Wheeler Peak, which took me about 45 minutes to get up to 12,400ft. It is the proverbial "kick in the teeth" to start out with that climb. The downhill on the back side had me reaching speeds of nearly 40mph on my 4" travel xc bike. It was sketchy, at least for my abilities. A big downhill in Texas lasts about 30 seconds. The 2nd loop does not have as many sustained climbs as the first loop, but it is not lacking for effort. The 3rd loop is what I imagine the Leadville to be like, more fire roads and less singletrack. From what I understand the LT100 is about 90% fireroad and I'd say the Breck is more like 50/50. Having said that, if I could do either for free, I would want to do LT100, but that's only b/c I've done the Breck, it killed me, and I want to see the wild a$$ circus that is going to ensue at Leadville this year.

Edit: I would pick the Breck 100 over LT100 if I had not done either race.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did Leadville last year. If I have the dates right I would like to do both this year. I really want to do Leadville again mainly because I screwed up and failed to keep my nutrition going and I believe it easily cost me an hour if not more (the guys I trained with all year whom I never had issue keeping up with finished an hour ahead of me, but none of them bonked like I did). So given a choice I hope to do Leadville again for that reason.

I can't speak to Breck, although looking at course maps it looks way harder and much more epic than the LT100.

Leadville is a managable race if you are fit. Technically, coming down Sugar Loaf was only sketchy because it was pouring rain and freezing cold. At Columbine the turn around point is not a terribly hard climb until you come out above the tree line. During training I could ride the whole climb, but during the race too many people were in the way so I walked it along with probably a thousand others. Coming down the top part of Columbine is probably the hardest descent because it is deeply rutted with giant rocks, plus it is two way traffic and steep. Technically that was the hardest descent of the whole race. On the return trip the stretch of road between Sugar Loaf back to St. Kevin's is a long long long long climb, it is around the 80-85 mile mark. It seems so long and there are so many false summits, it is mentally challenging. I was thankful it was on pavement, although maybe it would have not been so mentally demoralizing if it was on a trail.

The aid stations at the LT100 were fun, and a few places where people gathered to watch like PowerLine. Crowd support was great. Even when I felt like total death, ready to barf and pass out at the same time, the cheering put a smile on my face. The out and back route of Leadville is sort of nice, I got to see Lance come zipping by. And Dave Wiens even offered me words of encouragement, that was awesome!

So for my personal goal of doing better next year the LT100 would be my first choice. The hype of the LT100 was what got me there in the first place.

If you are not a good technical rider I would guess the LT100 might be a better race.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Raced Leadville this past season and I have my sights set on Breck for 2010. I liked Leadville and plan to do it again in 2011 when I make a push to earn Leadman status.

I have heard that the third clover leaf is the toughest one. Is this true? If so, why besides the fact that you are pretty beat when you reach it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did the LT100 last year and the Breck 68 (70?). Next year will probably be the Breck 100.

LT100 is cool to do and it is certainly a circus. Starting position will give or take 30 minutes off of your time. The course is easy as far as technical terrain. The aid stations are great. Really well run.

The Breck event was cool. (didn't do the 100, just the 68, but I've ridden all of it several times). The upside is that its cheaper, the riding is way more challenging, and its much more low key. The downside is that its run poorly, the aid stations really do stink, relatively speaking, and the last minute course changes last year were a bit annoying. Somebody over there isn't really in touch. It reminds me of a local backyard mtn bike race. Which is cool in its own way.

As for finishing times, yes the Leadville times are much faster. That should tell you something. But, the competition at Leadville is much stiffer, at least for the first 40 - 50 spots.

Have fun, I'll see you at Breck either at the 68 or 100, haven't decided if I have the time for 100s next year.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
These are all accurate statements; I have not done Leadville, but did the Breck last year. Personally I think for the price the 70 mile is the way to go. The race is disorganized and not well supported and the price difference for the 100 just isn't worth it. The way the course is setup you literally could just do the ride yourself. The only time you are really committed is on the last loop once you drop off of Boreas Pass down to Como. The rest of it you can easily bail and get back to town.

It is a great course and a really hard 100 miles. Personally I think they should make the course just a little easier to finish for the average person and the race could grow, the course is so much better than the Leadville, Leadville just has the name. Not sure this is what the promoter wants though.

The best race I have done so far (granted I have not done a lot of them) is the Laramie Enduro.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Done Leadville 6 times, did Breck 100 this year as training for Leadville.
Leadville is an epic experience. The racer support and with all the entries you still feel a part of something bigger. I have come to really enjoy the course more and more. I was initally turned off by the lack of single track and out and back course.
The Breck 100 terrain was incredible.I got my fill of singletrack, at times, I felt it was more of a long trainng ride more than a race. I really enjoyed the 3 loops and seeing my support crew each time through.
You may not get into Leadville so Breck has that going for it plus the trails demand real mountain biking skills. I'll definately be back at Breck 100. GO BIG DO 100!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you like riding with 2000 of your not to close friends, then do the LT100. Breck was about 160 last year. I didn't finish, but will be back next year. The course is AMAZING! There will be times where you will climb forever, and then all of a sudden you come out at the top looking at nothing but mountains, trees and snow. No signs of civilization. Look at who races Breck. Most of them are the true mtb racers. You wouldn't see Lance at Breck. Maybe Weins. That would be cool. See you at Carter Park next summer.

·
Old Joe
46 Posts
mtnbkr33 said:
Can someone here confirm or unconfirm that you can not sign up for leadville as a group this year? This would be my deciding factor since I would sign up with two of my other buddies. Thanks
Yes, 'tis a fact....with the new paperless entry/registration system LT100 is no longer accepting group entries....many people right now are having a great deal of difficulty going onto the new site, and if they do they have had problems with the registration process....that's probably due to an undersized server trying to handle mega hits....

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't know why they decided to eliminate the group option. Maybe it just wasn't possible to do that with the online registration? Either way it's disappointing since I'm sure this race is a Life Goal for some and not just another race. A lot will needs friends in the race to help them through and there's no guarantee that they will both be there or both not be there. Either way I think I will still try and get in through the lottery and see what happens. I'll probably get rejected but who knows.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Deaf_Guy said:
Does anyone have the dates for the 2010 Breck? I want to head out two weeks before the race so I can ride the course then chill for a few days. Is the course marking so bad that you need a GPS?
Dates? Nope, not yet...usually 2nd or 3rd week in July. Depends on how hard the winter is and how warm the Spring and early summer ends up being.

GPS neede? No.

Last year there was course changes the night before the event...racers were not notified. Yes, lame on the promoter's part. I was on course doing some filming and riding. I saw folks miss corners....mostly because they were fly down a fire road and not paying attention. I even yelled at them....but they kept descending down the mountain. Can't say it enough with a course undertaking as big as the Breck 100....keep you eyes and head up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.