Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i am a fan of breathe right strips but am having issues keeping them sticky enough while riding. when i first put them on, they work great and have plenty of stick. however, after 1 hour or so on the bike, you start to sweat and the strips lose their effect. does anyone have any tips here?

thanks so much!

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
nkrax said:
hello,

i am a fan of breathe right strips but am having issues keeping them sticky enough while riding. when i first put them on, they work great and have plenty of stick. however, after 1 hour or so on the bike, you start to sweat and the strips lose their effect. does anyone have any tips here?

thanks so much!
You could spray a blast of this stuff at your face before applying the Breathe-Right strip:

http://www.cramersportsmed.com/products_catalog.jsp?catID=82&prodID=70&path=AT

Just remember to close your eyes first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
nkrax said:
hello,

thanks so much!
I use the breathe right strips too... not sure about improving the stickyness... but one tip I found is that Safeway food stores carry their own brand of these that are half the price and tend to be a bit stickier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Clean your nose.......

with soap and water, dry thoroughly just before applying the breathright strip. I use them for sleeping and have found out that clean skin will keep them stuck on for a long time.

bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
nose strips?

That's funny, I thought that as soon as your heart rate goes up under exertion and your breathing increases your mouth naturally opens to breathe more air?:eek:

What is the point of nose strips while riding?:skep:

PS I'm a woodworker who is in a daily dusty environment and haven't yet found a need for nose strips.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,746 Posts
Duct Tape,Zip Tie, Super Glue, there are a number of choices its mostly a personal preference.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cycle Nomad said:
That's funny, I thought that as soon as your heart rate goes up under exertion and your breathing increases your mouth naturally opens to breathe more air?:eek:

PS I'm a woodworker who is in a daily dusty environment and haven't yet found a need for nose strips.
Honestly, for me I have a "deviated septum" or naturally narrow nasal passages. Basically I can't breathe well through my nose... so these strips help a LOT. Eventually I'll go to a doc and get roto-rootered, but until then...

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
mallen1315 said:
Tincture of Benzocaine. You can get it at the drug store. It is what us paramedics use when a bandage needs to stick in the rain or on a sweatty patient.
Tincture of Benzoin.

Benzocaine is an anesthetic. Benzoin is the sticky stuff.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,746 Posts
nkrax said:
I guess that is supposed to be funny??? I am not sure.

Anyway, thanks for all the new suggestions. It looks like I have a few new tricks to try.
Yes that was an attempt at some humor.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Cycle Nomad said:

If you did a little research on the topic you'd find there are some real
good reasons for breathing thru your nose and not your mouth.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Get rings installed on either side of your nose. Attach them with an elastic tie-down around the back of your head.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.