Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
try anything on a bike
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roughy now I ride with a Camelback Rogue. It's small, light, lets me carry the basics (multi tool, master link, sunglasses, a snack, pump and cell phone and plenty of H2O. The problem is my Evil Uprising only has mounts on the bottom of the downtube. Not only is it impractical to reach down there on a slow climb, but it gets super dirty. So looking for a new pack to allow me to get better ventilation under the pack so my back doesn't get as sweaty. Any suggestions? I have even thought of trying out a fanny pack with bladder, but no idea where to start.

Help, my back is gross!

And because we love pictures.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Dueter, Osprey, Dakine, and a few others have a system to keep the bag suspended off your back. I have a Dueter RaceXAir, and it uses an internal frame and mesh hammock to suspend it off your back and let air flow between you and the bag. I love it. It's super light weight, and comfortable fit. It works as advertised, and is an improvement cooling performance, but it is still hotter than having nothing there.

I don't care for the fanny pack solution. Once you have it filled with enough water, it flops, and bounces around too much. Or you have to cinch it down so tight that it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm using Camelbak MULE NV. I'm quite comfortable on it in a 37C 98% humidity riding (51C heat index). I find this pack quite useful. I use it on family trips, going to the gym, anything that's outdoor related. Just for the sake of testing, it can fit my laptop with other EDCs even if the bladder is full.

IMO hydration packs are like helmets. Give it a test fit first before getting one. A pack that comfortable for one rider may not be true for the other.

·
Registered
155 Posts
+1 on the bags that keep the load suspended off your back that d365 mentions above.

<can stop reading now, but some bonus babbling below>

In addition to the inherent ventilation, another great aspects of this type of pack is that the fit does not change with the size/fullness of the bladder -> compare that to something like a CamelBak whose shape/fit becomes dominated by a full 3 liter bladder. I do think the suspension adds a bit to the empty weight, but totally worth it.

For specific models, I have the Deuter RaceXAir as well. Has been my go-to pack for ~6 years now -> super comfortable with the mesh back and shoulder straps and is holding up very well. Would definitely recommend this model as it can hold up to 100oz/3l bladder plus tools, emergency layers, etc. for longish rides, yet still more comfortable than a 70oz/2l non-suspended pack for quick loops in hot weather.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I was talked into buying the Dakine bag with 3L bladder and was intrigued by the system keeping it off my back. It's a very good quality bag but ended up not being what I was after. It was far to big for my regular rides and moved around far too much on the descents. I ended up buying a USWE F3 which I had originally intended and it's perfect. I am still going to use the Dakine for long 50km+ rides though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'll get back to you on this, but recently got a HAWG NV for rides where I need to carry more stuff, regular pack is a normal MULE and the NV design really does look like it'll work well to keep my back cool and let air flow through. Hoping it does this and helps better support the load, as pack weight I'm guessing could be between 20-30lbs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought a Camelbak KUDU 12, sight unseen. I'll let you know how it's ventilation is when it arrives in the mail. I'm the same way with sweating if there's anything aside from a shirt in contact with my back, even on easy hikes. I haven't had a backpack that makes noticeable difference for me, so I usually just deal with it... :/

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've had a Hawg NV for about a season now. Great pack, plenty of room. Probably not as hot as my Mule was, but obviously not as cool as no pack would be. Just part of the deal -- I bring a clean t-shirt to put on after the ride, no problem.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Here's a thought....

Do you really need a pack on most rides?

95% of my rides are two hours or less. So, for those rides I carry no water. Two hex keys and tube/CO2 are strapped to the bike.

I carry no tools or water in my pockets.

I hate sweaty back.

·
try anything on a bike
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a thought....

95% of my rides are two hours or less. So, for those rides I carry no water. Two hex keys and tube/CO2 are strapped to the bike.

I hate sweaty back.
I have thought of this. But I drink a lot. I would miss the water I think.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yes, yes I do ;)
Here's a thought, you live where and ride at what time, push how hard? Down here, that ain't gona work, you'll end up with a minimum massive headache from dehydration if not worse.

Oh and let's not forget, YOU'RE A STUD!! :rolleyes: :skep: :rolleyes:

Here's a thought....

I hate sweaty back.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have yet to see a pack that doesn't soak your back after a long hot day of riding.
Me either, but it's all relative. Like these guys are saying, a suspended mesh back panel is really the only way you're going to get good ventilation, and at least your back won't be sweating so much worse than the rest of you. I don't worry about it on the bike, but consider it a prerequisite for my hiking and backpacking packs. Really does make a noticeable difference.

I'm quite comfortable on it in a 37C 98% humidity riding (51C heat index)
That's not a 51C heat index. 37C and 98% humidity don't occur simultaneously on this planet, and you would be quite dead if they did and you tried going for a bike ride!:p

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
+1 on the Mule NV. I went to that from a Rogue, found it to be very comfortable. Only fill it part way on most days as I won't use the whole bladder full of water. Keeps my back comfortable.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Yes, yes I do ;)
Here's a thought, you live where and ride at what time, push how hard? Down here, that ain't gona work, you'll end up with a minimum massive headache from dehydration if not worse.

Oh and let's not forget, YOU'RE A STUD!! :rolleyes: :skep: :rolleyes:
Naw. I don't have the studliness to carry 15 pounds worth of water and gear on my back.

A bit of dehydration is worth the freedom, sort of a calculated risk. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently picked up a source race and have been very happy with it. Seems to be better quality than my camel, has quite a bit of expandability for those longer rides where I might need to carry more.

Only downside was it took 3 weeks to get shipping out of Israel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts