Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced my first single speed at the Wilds in Ohio for the first time a few days ago. Got my ass handed to me. Must have crashed 6 times. Lost all confidence in my V-brakes. So the next day i call my LBS and asked how much it would be to mount a good set of disc brakes, only to be told my bike is not compatible. Broke my heart. I love this bike. Have done alot of the work myself and it disappoints me to hear that i can do nothing with my brake problem. Just painted it clean white and it totally brought it back to life. What can i do about these brakes? Also my back tire spun out on me a bunch of times, why does it do that when i climb? Help me save my baby with some ideas on improving the ride. thanks.

B.L.

·
Registered
215 Posts
brakes

I run a disc front v rear and have never wished for more power. 70% or so of stopping power happens in the front.

Get the avid front mechanical disc and if you don't have a good v, get one. XTR, Avid ultimate etc work great. Throw in some red ritchey pads for extra grip and your all set.

Works just as nice as front & rear disc except in freezing/icing conditions.

Great stopping all around, lighter and campatible with your frame.

Avid speed dial levers help you match front and rear modulation but aren't necessary.

You can get a surly disc fork for $55 or run a disc compatible suspension fork.

Keep the bike you love.

·
Registered
885 Posts
How was The Wilds...

for singlespeeding? I've never ridden there, but heard about it.

Do you ever get to Caesers Creek or Hueston Woods? Maybe we can hook up for a ride, not to many of us speeders around Southern Ohio.

MC

links0311 said:
I raced my first single speed at the Wilds in Ohio for the first time a few days ago. Got my ass handed to me. Must have crashed 6 times. Lost all confidence in my V-brakes. So the next day i call my LBS and asked how much it would be to mount a good set of disc brakes, only to be told my bike is not compatible. Broke my heart. I love this bike. Have done alot of the work myself and it disappoints me to hear that i can do nothing with my brake problem. Just painted it clean white and it totally brought it back to life. What can i do about these brakes? Also my back tire spun out on me a bunch of times, why does it do that when i climb? Help me save my baby with some ideas on improving the ride. thanks.

B.L.

·
Registered
479 Posts
links0311 said:
my brake problem
Which is exactly what? Tell us more including what equipment you are running. I ride V-brakes and don't suffer from these problems.

links0311 said:
Also my back tire spun out on me a bunch of times, why does it do that when i climb?
A generalization for the sake of simplicity:
If your back wheel spins out on climbs, your weight is too far forward. If your front wheel comes up off the ground your weight is too far back. Your job is to modulate your position such that you have traction and the ability to steer.

dd..''

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got it right?

As opposed to buying a new wheel (~$139) and decent disc brake (~$130)***, why not spend a fraction of the money at your lbs and get your brakes adjusted correctly?

***(Assuming that you don't also need a new fork)

How did we all ride before the advent of disc brakes? Save your money (and K.I.S._.) and get your v-brakes adjusted correctly. While RockDogger has a functional idea in essence, installing a front disc brake won't get you on the podium and will only exacerbate matters if your rear V-brake still doesn't work. ;) 70% on front? Only if the brakes work as they should (and are comparable front and rear).

>>>Ciht

·
Registered
681 Posts
While running a front disc/rear vee is definitely an option. I'm going to do it. I agree that this sounds like there may be a simpler solution. What brake calipers/levers are you running? Do you KNOW that they are set up properly? Perhaps your rims need to be cleaned/scuffed. Are your brake pads good? If you're running in damp weather perhaps investing in some KoolStop eagle pads would be a major benefit. Let us know some more info and we can try to help. Alternately if you have a good lbs and have a good relationship with them you can try discussing your problem with them.

Heck, maybe upgrading your vees would be a good option, depending on what you're using now. Just give us some more info.

Gabe

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brakes again

By all means make sure your V's are set up properly with good pads. If they work for you and you're happy with the brakes, great.

Some of us are happy riding rigid, canti braked, flat pedaled, square taper BB's, threaded headset SS bikes. Some of us like other alternatives. Just because you are happy and can get by comfortably with your set up, doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

Some of you can run 2:1 everywhere you go and it works great for you. For many, that's too stiff.

Good V-brakes (set up well) stop great. I rode that way for years (xtr V-s red koolstop pads) and never thought I wanted or needed more. Then I rode a bike with disc's. Wow, what a difference. The modulations was better, more power and easier to maintain (Avid mechanicals that is). Had I not ridden that friends bike I would still be riding V's and happy as a clam. But I'm glad I did because I'm happier with the front disc rear V set up.

You can set up V-s to work well but the disc IMHO and experience is superior. At least up front. I don't beleive the rear makes much difference.

Hit a nice wet technical downhill on your V's and then try it again with a disc. You'll sell yourself. I don't know anyone who's gotten a disc brake that's gone back to V's.

Not saying V's can't be set up well but a disc brake will stop just as well if not better, the pads won't encrusted with crap that ruins the stopping poser, you won't have to adjust the pads regularly, you won't go through pads as quick and they won't fad on you or lose stopping power when the weather gets bad.

Works for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Personally, I like my coaster brake, although....

I don't think anyone is debating as to which is better or worse (it would be a rather futile argument).

It seems to me that we are all giving the original poster ideas pertinent to his/her problem (despite a paucity of information). In fact, it seems as though there was only an evolution of your idea in the responses following your post. I would interpret this as a note of respect, especially considering the context.

Hope this helps. I look forward to making the switch to disc up front (as my frame does not support disc brakes on the rear) in order to maintain more consistent braking in the winter. ;) But that is just me (and it bears little relevance to the original poster's problems).

No hard feelings,
dd..''

·
Registered
479 Posts
No sweat, besides...

I seem to recall that you took third place on a SS in the Duo Pro class at 24 Hours of Snowshoe this year. Who can critique a guy that can do that? Disc-front/V-rear help? Who knows... What we do know is that it was definitely the rider. ;)

La'ers
dd..''

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bike Information

I want to thank everyone for some great advice. Here is the information on my bike,

Stock Trek 6500 about 8 years old
Nitro Torsion 1X1 bars
Sugino XD cranks
2:1 gear ratio
Power control Dia-Compe 7 brakes with Shimano pads
Kalin seat post
Clip in pedals that read WPD-95B
and the best part.....a Team Professional Brooks saddle

Thats about it. I am still debating getting front disc brakes, think it would be a good investment. I haven't riddin at The Creek or Hueston Woods but would love to go. Just getting into riding off road so i need to get some experience. thanks again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
"log some saddle time and work on your skills"

Yep, the most expensive unobtanium bike won't do you much good unless you deal with the essentails of riding the bike. Go on training rides with the good riders in your area and pick up tips and advice.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sounds like some riding skills clinic is in order...

Not so sound harsh in anyway, but I don't think it is much of an equipment problem, just your riding skills need worked on. Also is is possible your V's are not set up correctly.
I am an disc brake user to the purest sence. I don't evry want to use V's again. Guess what, my last SS build required the use of a rear V brake. Stopping power is plenty, just hate the noise. Also rear tire spining......could be using the wrong tire, too much pressure, weight not correct on bike. I have been running a Continental Twister as a rear tire on my single speed lately, this tire is pretty close to a semi-slick. With it I can still climb any hill that is climbable, may have an occasional slip on some really loose sections, but nothing that can't be corrected and continue the climb without any loss in speed.

Work on your riding skills a bit more.

Kman

links0311 said:

B.L.

·
blame me for missed rides
789 Posts
links0311 said:
Power control Dia-Compe 7 brakes with Shimano pads
man, time for some real brakes. Shitmano pads are the worst around, period. get some koolstop pads. any aftermarket brakes would probably work better than the dia compe's. also ceramic 517's are on sale on nashbar, you can try those with ceramic pads (nashbar carries some good housebrand v brakes too).

go with discs in front if everything else fails.

·
Submit to your ride!
486 Posts
Hey Mellow, there are some ss'ers in NE Ohio as I live in North Canton. You had asked if the Wilds was a good place for ss'ing and I would have to say that it is the perfect place for it! It flows very well and has very few places that you can't climb while at the same time it is very challenging.

SS Slave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.