Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya!

I bought my first bike with SRAM parts in April this year, so it has been some six months I am riding all-mountain, forest singletrack style. I do not bomb the bike, do not jump. Wheels are firmly on the ground 99,99% of the time.

In these six months:

a) I broke GXP Bottombracket, specifically the ball bearings just gave. Replaced bearings with Enduro Seal bearings.
b) I damaged X0 crankset. Specifically, the part where drive side crank interfaces with spider. It is glued with car-strength Loctite glue now, holding so far, but for all purposes, it is basically broken.
c) Replaced AVID (so SRAM) rotors as they are horrible and cause too much squeal. This is not technically broken, I just swapped them, but if a part is performing horribly - it is as good as broken.
d) Pulley on my X9 real derailleur broke. Pulley. Imagine. Pulleys do not even endure hard forces of the chain, they just roll along.
e) X9 rear 10 speed shifter broke few days ago. Something in it wore out and it was just not working as intended anymore (to skip the details).

I will stay with SRAM for at least one more year, I will give them a chance, partially because SRAM stuff looks better (yes, yes, call me superficial) and partially because I do believe they have some clever solutions to how stuff works. (I rode Shimano for years before SRAM so I have a platform on which to compare products)

My question to you folks: is this all just my bad luck? Or is there a significant possibility that SRAM ships to Europe less quality-controlled stuff? Or is this normal?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I've never had any real issue

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems with SRAM gear. I've run Truvativ cranks, Avid hydro and mechanical discs, X7, X9, and X0 triggers and derailleurs, and the only issue I've ever had was when I got a stick in the rear wheel, and it ended up bending my R/D.

Hoping you'll have beeter luck in the future.

Bob

·
troll
20 Posts
wow. . . have a DH bike and 2 xc bikes that I thrash the sh1t out of and all 3 are mostly sram'd out. Never had a problem. Shoot I have even broke hangers and my x-9 short cage on my DH is still working fine. Will agree with you that Avids make some noise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warranty: well, the only thing so far that got replaced on the spot was pulley. The bottom racket I did not even want to be replaced, I went for Enduro. X0 crankset - it would take way too long for them to replace (local dealer needs to ship it, then SRAM has to decide should they replace bla bla bla bla bla) so we glued it in the LBS. Shifter - same thing. I bought new shifter while they replace old one, in the end I will, at best, have 1 extra shifter.

So overall, no clue how will SRAM treat me.

I do however reserve the possibiliy of me just being unlucky. Number of things could have gone wrong. Bottom bracket and crankset might have failed because of the faulty installation by the shop where I bought the bike. Etc. This is why I am giving SRAM another chance.

·
Beer Me!
2,114 Posts
All i can say is i have had the exact opposite experience.

I have gradually switched all my bikes from shimano to SRAM, due to issues with shimano components, and their finicky nature. I have 5 bikes with sram drivetrains: 1-XO 2-X9 10speed and 2 Sram Force Road groups. The XO drivetrain is on my all mountain bike, and has seen mud, rain, dust, rocks, etc.. I have even replaced my rear derailleur hanger twice due to it getting bent from falls, without having to replace the derailleur itself.

Maybe bad luck man, but i still think there might be something else at play here. Do you ride in an area with extremely fine dust, or silty mud? A lot of your issues seem bearing related, or small moving parts. I have ruined a pair of shifters due to silty mud.

·
pedal fatass!
93 Posts
I'm over 200lbs and have beaten the hell out my X0 cranks w/ GXP BB including moderate drops, jumps, crashes, and a huge, dumb, rock hit last weekend, no problems. My Juicy 7's make some noise if I use them too much, but usually scuffing the rotors stops that for awhile. I have no idea how you're breaking stuff like that.

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
My bike wears a hodgepodge of SRAM parts: X9 Shifters, X0 carbon crank, X0 rear derailleur, XX front derailleur, X0 9 speed cassette. I've had zero problems since 2007. I have SRAM on my road bike too. I did have a problem with a Force chainring that consistently threw the chain off the outside. A new chainring fixed that. I love my SRAM components and will put it on my next bike as well.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
It could be "OEM syndrome".
I have figured out over the years, that some OEM versions aren't up to par with the same model of part that is bought for outrageous aftermarket pricing.
IE some parts that come on mass produced bikes, have the look and model number, but not always the quality.
I switched from Sram to all Shimano a couple of years back, mostly because the Sram chains were wearing much quicker and taking the gearing with them. Instead of getting a year out of my major driveline components like with Shimano, The Sram stuff was getting worn out in about 6 - 7 months.

I must confess though, the Shimano stuff can be a little more finicky from things like a sudden temperature change in the weather. That is supposed to be fixed with the new Dyna-Sys stuff. Shimano uses a new leverage ratio for shifting, more like Sram now, which is why it's less touchy.

It seems to have a lot to do with riding environment etc, whether a person likes one or the other.

·
High Gravity Haze
418 Posts
I've been running SRAM gear since 1997 including some of the early Sach's derailleurs ("Plasma" anyone?) and never had much trouble with them. The 9.0SL's had weak b-Knuckles that tended to break, but other than that no problems. I do like being able to dial in the derailleur set screws and only have to compensate for cable stretch after that. Shimano derailleurs never worked that smoothly for me. I'm still using Gripshift. Never had a shifter to break on me unless there was much more damage to me and the bike included.

When Tru-Vativ came on the market with their first offerings I was significantly un-impressed with the first crankset I tried out. If I bought a bike that had Tru-Vativ cranks, they were immediately replaced with Shimano XT cranks. No way in hell that I'd trust a BB made by Tru-Vativ. Side note- Raceface fared significantly better, but not better than Shimano XT.

Avid rotors- yeah, I'm not super impressed either. Seems like my old Hayes HFX9 rotors were better performing. I deal with it though. The Avid disc's stop well enough for me and are only loud until the rotor and pads bed in.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Good game! You're on!

Heya!

I bought my first bike with SRAM parts in April this year, so it has been some six months I am riding all-mountain, forest singletrack style. I do not bomb the bike, do not jump. Wheels are firmly on the ground 99,99% of the time.

In these six months:

a) I broke GXP Bottombracket, specifically the ball bearings just gave. Replaced bearings with Enduro Seal bearings.Yep, done that. My pressed in enduro bearings never stayed in the cups as well as they attached to the spindle, i gave up on them. FSA is my go-to for cranks now.
b) I damaged X0 crankset. Specifically, the part where drive side crank interfaces with spider. It is glued with car-strength Loctite glue now, holding so far, but for all purposes, it is basically broken.Also done that, it was not quite pressed on all the way, so it would kill nds crank arms rather than showing itself. Eventually it came completely loose.
c) Replaced AVID (so SRAM) rotors as they are horrible and cause too much squeal. This is not technically broken, I just swapped them, but if a part is performing horribly - it is as good as broken.word on the street is that avid rotors aren't heat treated, or something. I'm running hayes or TRP
d) Pulley on my X9 real derailleur broke. Pulley. Imagine. Pulleys do not even endure hard forces of the chain, they just roll along.You got me there. I've broken shimano ones...
e) X9 rear 10 speed shifter broke few days ago. Something in it wore out and it was just not working as intended anymore (to skip the details).broke an x7 when the cable jammed and i hamfisted it. I'm not sure if i blame sram or not, i've done the same to deore stuff, but that was outright hamfisted shifting, it didn't jam.

I will stay with SRAM for at least one more year, I will give them a chance, partially because SRAM stuff looks better (yes, yes, call me superficial) and partially because I do believe they have some clever solutions to how stuff works. (I rode Shimano for years before SRAM so I have a platform on which to compare products)

My question to you folks: is this all just my bad luck? Or is there a significant possibility that SRAM ships to Europe less quality-controlled stuff? Or is this normal?
I guess you're not running sram cassettes or chains- the cassette teeth gear faces 'mushroom' out and get wider under high torque, and their chains wear quickly and are less tolerant of bad shifting sideloading the chain. To their credit, they go back together without fuss with a chain tool.

I love rockshox, gripshift, and how fuss-free their derailleurs are. In general though i haven't had much luck with sram drivetrain either. Granted, i have a long inglorious history of breaking parts, but it's easy to see what was made to a higher standard.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess you're not running sram cassettes or chains- the cassette teeth gear faces 'mushroom' out and get wider under high torque, and their chains wear quickly and are less tolerant of bad shifting sideloading the chain. To their credit, they go back together without fuss with a chain tool.
Unfortunately I am. Everything on the bike except pedals (XTR Trail) is SRAM.

The chain had to be replaced 4 months into the lifespan. What's problematic is that the chain caused cassette wear-out, and now that I have the new chain it quickly fell into the cassette and in less than a month it too stretched out to the state of the old one.

Both the chain and the cassette are made out of bloody wet cardboard. They are too squishy and wear out too easily, not to mention that it is probably a good idea to replace cassette and chain at the same time. With Shimano, one chain lasted for a whole year, and it did not cause cassette damage (wear-out). I could just replace the chain, and that was it.

Grrrr.

(as for the broken parts, I still keep the faith that it could be the OEM problem, the faulty installation at the shop where I bought the bike etc.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you may have just got every blem part they make. I have had no problems with SRAM besides the XX brakes having cracks which they warranty very easily. Try going into your LBS or call SRAM directly to see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try going into your LBS or call SRAM directly to see what they can do for you.
This all takes time. I could give my cransket to the LBS and they will ship it to SRAM for inspection and warranty replace, and then what? I then need to wait a month being without a bike during summertime. Not gonna happen.

This is why I just bought the new shifter while they deal with the old one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.