Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Even after its broken in, its still going to feel stiff and sticky. Why? Manitou sucks.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
mrpercussive said:
How long did you guys take to break into the shock??? Mine's really stiff right now and i've been doing a lot of drops to flats to try and break into it... any suggestions???
Hmm... I am going to have to say there is very little break in time for a rear shock. Forks are another story as the bushings need some break in time. If your shock feels stiff it's probably oversprung. Any compression / platform adjustments on the shock ?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, there's not really any substantial break-in for rear shocks...some front forks...a different story. I agree with keen. Your setup just sounds off in the tuning perhaps. What bike and which Manitou shock? And I definitely don't agree with the "Manitou sucks" opinion...especially on their rear shocks. For me personally and through the shop I work at, we've sent in way more Fox shocks for failure issues than Manitou...and we have a good deal of Manitou rear shocks through our shop. That said, I still like certain Fox shocks, 5th E coils, Cane Creeks, and others. It's usually more important to get the right shock for your bike and then to set it up with the right tune on the damping controls. If you tell us your bike and shock, maybe some here have tuned and set up the same combination.

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
936 Posts
It will take a little time but it"s going to feel better, My ISX:6 took a while to break in but nows it feels great, the new 07 Manitou came out good, What shock do you have the Metel?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,577 Posts
mrpercussive said:
How long did you guys take to break into the shock??? Mine's really stiff right now and i've been doing a lot of drops to flats to try and break into it... any suggestions???
Rear shocks don't "break in" like front forks do. The reason is the leverage, a little bit of seal or bushing stiction in a rear shock is easily overcome by leverage, wherease on a front fork it's a 1:1 ratio, so a bit of stiction goes a long way to make it feel "sticky". There is probably something wrong with your shock/setup..

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Evolver ISX-6

pvflyer said:
It will take a little time but it"s going to feel better, My ISX:6 took a while to break in but nows it feels great, the new 07 Manitou came out good, What shock do you have the Metel?
Hey pv, what do you have that Evolver mounted on and how's it working? I have one sitting on the workbench to go on a Nomad but don't have the eyelet spacers yet. Any setup problems?...happy with it so far?

·
GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
936 Posts
TNC said:
Hey pv, what do you have that Evolver mounted on and how's it working? I have one sitting on the workbench to go on a Nomad but don't have the eyelet spacers yet. Any setup problems?...happy with it so far?
It's a great Shock, easy to set it up solid feel, it took a while to break in; bushings and seals on Manitou suspensions use some really tight specs but after ten hours or so of riding it's feel like butter.
Here it's what i'm current have as set up.

Main Air pressure Chaimber you should run Riders wheight; My W=170lbs/ shock 150psi

Intrinsic Air chamber ; 150psi ( Manitou recomends not mess around to much W/ that)

Rebound Four clicks clock-wise, from fully open

Intrinsic bottom out knob; #3

High Speed Compression knob; four clicks clock wise

Low speed all the way open

Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.