Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since building up the Sultan last Wednesday I have put about 14 hours in the saddle including the Park City Perfect 10 race this past weekend and I am loving it so far.

The first ride was a two-hour shakedown on Grand Targhee's singletrack and I was surprised how "normal" it felt coming from my Flux. Descending and cornering in loose gravel over hardpack was noticeably better.

The real eye-opener was racing in Deer Valley. My buddy JayP and I raced the duo-male category and turned out 16 laps in 10 hours. The course was 7 miles with 900' of climbing per lap and some pretty loose, technical descending with lots of switchbacks both up and down. Steep climbing and tight switchbacks are typically not the strength of FS 29ers but I felt solid negotiating the switchbacks and was confident descending. In hindsight, I regret not taking the Flux and doing a little back-to-back comparison under race conditions.

I am looking forward to racing it in the Laramie Enduro in a couple of weeks since this course has a lot of "big ring" rolling terrain and sets up nicely for a 29er.

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Sweet. White is quickly becoming my favorite color for the Sultan - looks so clean and fast.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Glad you're liking the Sultan. It is the ultimate endurance racer IMO, although it wasn't quite enough to help me beat your partner in the CreamPuff a few weeks ago. That guy is seriously fast!

The more I ride mine, the more I love it. I know there are probably some changes in store for 09, but it's hard for me to believe that the Sultan will be improved upon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.