Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Yeah....

...I had to excuse myself to the bathroom to preserve my office dignity(assuming I had any to begin with).

I don't even want to think about life without this clown. That article makes me want to run home and walk him!

Attachments

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Dogs only live for 16 years or so if you're lucky, they give you everything without measure, then they're gone forever. It's so selfless and brief it's utterly heartbreaking.

I saw this idea in a book once.... If the old saw of 1 of our years = 7 dog years, then one of our days is to them like a week. No wonder they love the same food every night! But it's a big reminder of how we should spend time with them while we have it.

We lost our puppy the other weekend and only got her back after serveral days of searching, flyers, calls, NO sleep, crying (both husband and I).... I'm glad to say she came back to us via a concerned citizen that had picked her up right off, but it has instilled the dread of those last days we must face sooner or later with our pets.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
damn you!

Posting a story that's got me sobbing now......

Actually, it's a beautifully written tribute. It now makes perfect sense why he couldn't go on, w/o his boxy-headed friend to cheer him through.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I really admire Tyler a lot. After reading that story I feel saddend for him. I appreciate the great comforts my Lab gives me every day.

I found this paragraph quite sad.

Tugs and I slept side by side that night. Ironically, one year after he had done so for me, I was comforting him at the Tour de France. Before the start of stage 10, I said my good-byes. My wife drove him back to Girona where the vet was waiting for her call. On the way into town she stopped at a bakery and bought a whole bag of pastry. It had been weeks since Tugs had been well enough for a treat. But Haven's brother Derek, who traveled with her to France, suggested they take Tugs to a park for his final feast. They carried him out of the car and sat with him under a shady tree and fed him his chocolate and sugar and cheese covered desserts until there wasn't a crumb left. He was still on earth, but I think, in that moment, he must have been in heaven.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
The Berryman said:
I've never had a dog. Even as a kid.

Reading that so much made me want to get a dog.
And at the same time, made me deffinately NOT want to get a dog. I dont know if I could handle losing it. :(
My family got a dog 3.5 years ago and its been just the best experience we have had. Now that we have all grown up (Well I have) we got a dog and its like have a little kid in the house. Someone you can pamper, someone for comfort, companionship and to share every day with. Jack is the best thing in our lives in a sense. I would be lost without him, and so would my family.

Don't hesitate to get a dog - They are just the best thing, particularly Labradors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On man I had to stop reading a couple of times to get myself under control...Take some deep breathes...

My family had a Dog when we were kids and she lasted for almost 17 yrs...Service was her name...I cried when my dad told me she had passed as I am almost crying again for her...

It's amazing how dogs change your lives...

:(

·
Registered
194 Posts
Trevor! said:
My family got a dog 3.5 years ago and its been just the best experience we have had. Now that we have all grown up (Well I have) we got a dog and its like have a little kid in the house. Someone you can pamper, someone for comfort, companionship and to share every day with. Jack is the best thing in our lives in a sense. I would be lost without him, and so would my family.
That brings to mind the quote, "Its better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all."

I am sure it would suck to lose a friend in such a short time. But I bet the joy of having a dog around would more than make up for the eventual pain of losing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.