Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new pads for my Saint breaks, problem is the don't clear the rotors. I pushed the pistons back into their original positions, and re-adjusted the break system so it's perfectly centered with the rotors, still know luck. The pads are just too thick to clear the rotor.
Anyone else have issues like this before?
Yes I have the proper pads, ect... just don't clear right.
So the only two things I can think of are;
1. Do I need to wear down the pads some how, untill they slide in? If so, how should I wear them?
2. I'm not running the Saint rotors, does Shimano machine their rotors thinner than most other manufacturers? If this is the case, the previous owner must have ground down the last set of pads he used. So again, how would I do this?
Any other possabilities for the problem and solution are welcome.

PS, I also replaced the RD, got the X-9, and the shiftings a bit rough, any quick tips to improve shifting smoothness and eliminate ghost shifting/cog skipping? (I'm too lazy to make two threads for both questions.)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Did you get Shimano pads or aftermarket pads? You probably didn't push the pistons back all the way into their bores, or set the pads all the way. If you really need to sand it down, sand in a figure-8 across course sandpaper. I do this to prep all new pads anyways.

For the x.9, shift into the smallest gear in the back. Dial the barrel adjuster almost all the way in. Loosen the pinch bolt at the derailleur and pull any slack in the cable through. Tighten down the pinch bolt. Now make small adjustments with the barrel adjuster. If it's shifting too far on the upshift, dial the barrel adjuster in (clockwise). If it's not shifting up right, dial the adjuster out (counter clockwise). You adjust them the same way you'd adjust any derailleur.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Did you get Shimano pads or aftermarket pads? You probably didn't push the pistons back all the way into their bores, or set the pads all the way. If you really need to sand it down, sand in a figure-8 across course sandpaper. I do this to prep all new pads anyways.

For the x.9, shift into the smallest gear in the back. Dial the barrel adjuster almost all the way in. Loosen the pinch bolt at the derailleur and pull any slack in the cable through. Tighten down the pinch bolt. Now make small adjustments with the barrel adjuster. If it's shifting too far on the upshift, dial the barrel adjuster in (clockwise). If it's not shifting up right, dial the adjuster out (counter clockwise). You adjust them the same way you'd adjust any derailleur.
Word, thanks for all the help, I'll report back w/ the results tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.