Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I found out the hard way that Paragons sliders are a mofo to braze, especially when you are using all the wrong stuff. Turns out that Harris white flux isn't good (at all) for ss and that I should have been using the black flux. I also found out that although 56% is great for brazing ss it's not really the best for bridging the gaps for this type of drop. It kept pouring out the the slots I cut for the drops.

Anyway, I read this post from Dave B (thanks, this was very helpful) http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=537369
I'm gonna try 45% silver and black flux. Other than cleaning the tubes really well is there anything else I should do to make this less painful?

I should have read up a lot more on brazing stainless before jumping in I would have saved myself a lot of time and cleanup on that chainstay. I wasted an once of 56% silver trying to braze a single chainstay.

Thanks in advance. --Mark

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I found brazing my SS James drops tricky too. Of course by the time I did the 4th plug I had it down pretty good. I ended up laying the heat to the 1st one a second time because I wasn't happy with the amount of sweating on it. I used HJ's blue flux and it seemed to work fine. Definitely over 30 hours on the frame and nothing has broken. I even crashed last ride. Everything's normal then :-0

Drew

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sounds like you are on your way, I am glad I could be of some use.

Blatant plug approaching.......

Wade and I sell a brazing filler just for this purpose and also a corresponding flux. It is called Fillet pro silver and Stainless light flux. It has been designed to do exactly what you are working on now.

If I told you what it was I would have to kill you, but suffice to say it is a lot cooler than plain ol' 45 and harris black:D

Dru, The Gasflux stuff that is blue is typically reserved for bronze brazing. I am glad it worked for you but if it is what I think it is, it's best use is not for silver brazing to stainless.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks Dave, I didn't know that. Maybe I'll put your and Wade's shameless plug to use on my road frame (still in the planning stages)

Drew

·
Motobecane Pilot
117 Posts
Clockwork Bikes said:
Fillet Pro and Stainless Light are awesome. Makes the impossible possible:

I concur. Love the way it flows. Love the way it cleans up even more.

Joel- I got to see that bike in Richmond. Stellar work!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

I had already purchased the black flux and 45% silver from my local welding supply and since the smallest amount of fillet pro I can get only comes in 5oz coil I'll hold off and use what I have now, but I will certainly keep it in mind for my next build.

I also had the chance to see Joel's bike in Richmond, awesome!

Thanks again for the help. --Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts