1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[B]Beware, this is in todays Mercury News :mad:

CAMPBELL

Brazen cat burglars steal bicycles worth thousands

Thieves targeting high-end bicycles in Campbell have stolen more than $32,000 worth of them during the past two months, police said.

Since November, thieves have stolen several bicycles ranging in value from $650 to $5,000 from the second- and third-story balconies of apartment buildings.

Most of the thefts have occurred at night and there are no witnesses to any of the incidents, police said.

``The people who are doing this know enough about bikes to be taking the high-end bikes,'' Campbell police investigator Cindy Campbell said. ``This is something new because of the locations from where they're being stolen. It's a pretty gutsy person to climb up to a second- or third-story balcony in the middle of the night not knowing if anyone is home.''

Six of the 10 bicycles stolen were from balconies. The other four were taken from patios, porches and garages. Some were locked at the time.

The most recent theft was reported Jan. 22.

Anyone with information may call Campbell at (408) 866-2185.

-- MediaNew

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I've seen some newish high-end looking bikes,both road and mountain bikes, at the Capital Flea market with a price of $150 up to $500 asking price recently. The sellers seem to know a bit about the bikes. I'm not sure where they get them and it could be legit,maybe from police auctions.
I don't remember exactly but there used to be a rule around the '80s that if a bike worth more than $600 is sold for $100,chances are it's stolen. I don't know what the rule is now.
Makes me kinda wonder. How do we know we're not bidding on a stolen bike on eBay? I just sold a bike and I wasn't asked if I was the legal owner of the bike.

·
PULL
697 Posts
Built4Speed said:
I've seen some newish high-end looking bikes,both road and mountain bikes, at the Capital Flea market with a price of $150 up to $500 asking price recently. The sellers seem to know a bit about the bikes. I'm not sure where they get them and it could be legit,maybe from police auctions.
I don't remember exactly but there used to be a rule around the '80s that if a bike worth more than $600 is sold for $100,chances are it's stolen. I don't know what the rule is now.
Makes me kinda wonder. How do we know we're not bidding on a stolen bike on eBay? I just sold a bike and I wasn't asked if I was the legal owner of the bike.
You get the serial number and check to see if it's stolen.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
I bought a bike from a seller in the classified section on this site. Spoke to the seller on the phone, got the S/N, called the manufacturer -- who confirmed that it had not been reported stolen. Bought the bike.

Meanwhile, another Campbell balcony bike theft occurred and was reported in today's SJ Mercury News. The property managers should send notices to each of their tenants. Of course, a property manager becomes jaded over time, and doesn't care if the tenant doesn't care to secure their bikes. I'm fairly confident that nobody on this forum is storing their bikes in the open like that. When I was renting an apartment w/o a garage, I used to keep my primary ride in the tub.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Rex_Skidmore said:
I'm fairly confident that nobody on this forum is storing their bikes in the open like that. When I was renting an apartment w/o a garage, I used to keep my primary ride in the tub.
Me too. Kept indoors.

I can't say I like hearing this trend so close to home though. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.