Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked it up yesterday.was really hard to get a hold of:madman:
brazing is much nicer than my crossbike:)
interesting detail at the segmented seatstay ,cool integrated seatpost QR(post is really stuck:( ),and super funky bottle mounting....

Attachments

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonus no logo ck!

Rumpfy said:
Nice!

Any idea what year it is?

Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

What'll be the build for it?
guy said 88 but im not 100 percent convinced.
as for the build? im open to ideas, anyone?your suggestions welcome....
maybe bullseye cranks, phil fsc's???

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That bike is outstanding. It is the one and only brazed Bonty I have ever seen with a wishbone stay or externally butted stays. Totally a missing link.

Super cool. Coolest bonty frame among this forum in my opinion.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy named SSue said:
That bike is outstanding. It is the one and only brazed Bonty I have ever seen with a wishbone stay or externally butted stays. Totally a missing link.

Super cool. Coolest bonty frame among this forum in my opinion.
yeah, i was pretty excited when i saw the wishbone.

and thank you, im honored :blush:

·
401 Posts
When the time comes, PLEEEEEEASE post it in the buff :arf: before paint..........please. I bet the fillets are "text book". :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
hollister said:
yeah, i was pretty excited when i saw the wishbone.

and thank you, im honored :blush:
The weird thing getting me is that I've seen one around here that had the non-wishbone stays with the stamped dropouts that came later. Yours has cast dropouts but the later stays.

Good thing I didn't drive by you lugging it, I might have run you off the road or accidently veered into you while staring.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
That is a great looking frame, and as other have said, it includes a lot of details that I've not seen.

For age, I'd guess '89 or '90. It has a lot of the features that were present on the Off-Road frames by 1991, but looks to be much more custom. It's definitely a predecessor to the production frames.

My '89 (not 100% sure of the year on mine; dating it based on the components and the fact that the s/n starts with "89") does not have the wishbone, or segmented stays. So your falls somewhere between mine and the production Off-Road frames.

You're lucky to have found that. And if you ever want to part with it, you know how to find me. ;)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
stay to drop out junction also looks very salsa. Those are campy dropouts right? How bout the top tube cable guides, are those slotted? The cable stops on the stays are Campy and are pretty old.

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
Must be right before production

I would say late 87 early 88 would be right as late 89 he had the production ones going . . . this one falls right in before them. Has some of the similar details early production ones had.

Nice to say the least.

I have original artwork for the decals, with the correct "R's" that are slightly different than each other. Yes, I am a stickler for extreme details.

Leave it original . . . IMHO.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
stay to drop out junction also looks very salsa. Those are campy dropouts right? How bout the top tube cable guides, are those slotted? The cable stops on the stays are Campy and are pretty old.
dropouts are worn so i compared to a fresh one.yup, crampandgoslow
i allways though that these were cinelli stops:confused:
not slotted , the ones on the cross bike are.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.