Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A two part technical question:

I have a Chromoly frame and would like to add some hose guides to it. I found stainless steel hose guides pictured below. Can I just use Saftey Silv 56 and flux with a plane jane propane torch to do this?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
You should be able to silver braze those those on without a full oxy/acetylene setup. Just be patient with getting things evenly up to temp and use proper flux. I love the Paragon mounts, I've stopped using the stainless ones as they are just too damn spendy. You can silver braze the non-stainless version too, and they cost 1/2 as much. I recommend buying the "small" miter ones and filing them to fit your tubing. Giving the top a squeeze in a vice to close the slot up a touch will make for a nice tight fit when paint/powder is added.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Flux is important. Stainless Light from Cycle Design Group is excellent stuff. It has indicators in it to tell you when everything is up to the correct temperature. It starts out white then goes clear and beads up. After that it flows out but still has what looks like little bubbles or "sparkles" in it. When those go away, add the silver. Real easy to use.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great. Thanks guys! I was looking for a steel version and must have missed it on the website. I think I will go with that instead.

I really appreciate all the input and suggestions. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Good call on getting the smaller miter ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.