Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have usualy had my wheels built, only 2 sets to date, with brass nipples and read the preferances from others on mtbr but I cant find any brass ones in South Korea. I have found a sucker to build my wheels for me and all I need now are the nipples. I can only find 12mm aluminium. CRC builds with 14mm brass so where do I go from here? I have my 721 rims and pro 2s ready. Product Red White Line Font

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I've seen aluminum nipples break. It's not a huge deal. But they can be a little harder to tension. They may seize. Blah blah blah. If the builder takes care to prep things and build the wheel properly, it should be just fine.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
alum nipples can work fine... but after my last experience with them, never again. brass nipples are just so much easier, and more reliable.

if your going to be beating on that wheelset, you better build it dead on, and have some extra's cuz your very likely to roll a couple while building.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I've built all my personal wheels with aluminum, except for the wheels I put on my beater winter bike. I broke a couple on one wheel after putting a 1.5" diameter branch into the wheel. That's it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: This includes my Bottle Rocket, which I've been beating on pretty hard. The wheels are two seasons old, no issues. Just build them right, prep them right, and you'll be good.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
euroford said:
alum nipples can work fine... but after my last experience with them, never again. brass nipples are just so much easier, and more reliable..
I am the same......the problem is....if you really abuse your rims with drops, jumps and rockgardens then you will need to true rims more often....the aluminum nipples start folding and you can't get a grip....I am a strait brass man now

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,361 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I am the same......the problem is....if you really abuse your rims with drops, jumps and rockgardens then you will need to true rims more often....the aluminum nipples start folding and you can't get a grip....I am a strait brass man now
You speaketh the truth.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,046 Posts
i always use alu nips. never had any issues and i'm brutal on wheelsets. just make sure you have a proper fitting spoke wrench if you need to true your wheels, which shouldn't happen often unless you ride with loose spokes. with tight spokes, your wheels(with any modern abuse oriented rim) will stay true no matter the abuse you throw at them, minus the random freak accidents...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.