Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a product related question here...

My @didas cycling rep was in my shop today and it’s got me thinking about clothing. @didas has a lot more women’s cycling clothing for '05 and I am putting together an order.

How popular is it for women to just wear sports bras while cycling? (I mean by themselves with no jersey over them...ones that have cool designs and stuff). A couple clothing lines I carry have cool sports bras (which I always carry a few). But, my reps have been pushing me to carry a lot more...I'm contemplating whether I should really bring in a lot of these in. I got jerseys, tanks, sleeveless jerseys, jackets, shorts, shoes, socks; you name it ...all in women’s stuff. But the bra thing has got me puzzled. Do women really go to their LBS to pick up a cycling sports bra? I figure most women just pick up cheaper ones at Target and stuff, or go on the internet...I have no idea...I don't shop for bras!!! Thanks a ton for any help!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
adidas bras

Adidas makes the best sports bras-ever, especially if you are a bit too large for the cheap target bras. Adidas all the way!

jennyfresh
www.fruitamountainbike.com

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:

My @didas cycling rep was in my shop today and it's got me thinking about clothing. @didas has a lot more women's cycling clothing for '05 and I am putting together an order.

How popular is it for women to just wear sports bras while cycling? (I mean by themselves with no jersey over them...ones that have cool designs and stuff). A couple clothing lines I carry have cool sports bras (which I always carry a few). But, my reps have been pushing me to carry a lot more...I'm contemplating whether I should really bring in a lot of these in. I got jerseys, tanks, sleeveless jerseys, jackets, shorts, shoes, socks; you name it ...all in women's stuff. But the bra thing has got me puzzled. Do women really go to their LBS to pick up a cycling sports bra? I figure most women just pick up cheaper ones at Target and stuff, or go on the internet...I have no idea...I don't shop for bras!!! Thanks a ton for any help!!!

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Most of the women I have ridden with wear a shirt over their bra, but there have been a few who could pull off the just the sports bra look. When it is real hot & humid, I would love to get away with wearing just those sports bras with the cool designs, but, alas, my cups runneth over.

I'd love to be able to get bras at Target, but you can't go cheap when you've got a lot to support. And if you ride a lot, you have to have quite a few of them because they get worn out from all the washing. I do try to find bras on sale, or at the brand name discount stores, the local LBSs are a bit pricey :( . I can't buy them on-line though, I've got to try them on first.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I often wear bra-tops - like the ones that are a sports bra, but longer so they cover your stomach as well. So if that's the type of thing you're talking about, then yes, I wear them riding. When I buy those sorts of tops it's either from my gym, sports stores - bike shops, REI, etc., or anywhere else I see something cute and at a good price. Price is key for me - if you're carrying something cute but it's ridiculously priced - I just can't afford that.

But little regular bra sized sports-bras... not by themselves (for me anyway). I do have one friend who wears stuff like that riding (she's got the ripped abs for it - I've been making progress, but I'm not willing to bare my midriff in a hunched over position quite yet...)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Although I've never ridden in just the sports bra (that's just crazy talk), I do like their potential for enabling me to change shirts in the parking lot post-ride. This is a concept that only dawned on me recently for some reason.

I guess it's because my favorite bras are the ones I mentioned before from Title 9 (nicknamed the answer-to-all-your-prayers bra.) It's just a regular bra, but sturdier, so I can wear it during the day and then not have to change into a different one for the gym or for biking. Post-workout, love how easy it is to change out of it (none of that struggling to get a soaking wet piece of lycra over your head.)

Lately, though, since it's hot and humid, it's a pain that my riding buddies can easily change into dry shirts after the ride, and I can't. :( So I think I'm going to start wearing these sports bras (usually reserved for high-impact workouts like running) for summertime rides. Will cut down on the locker-room smell in my car this way! :cool:

As for the LBS, never purchased a bra there. But that's b/c I'm such a fan of Title 9's selection and their way of explaining not only the fit (what size benefits most from each type) but also the level of activities (low/med/high-impact.)

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
most times i ride with bra under shirt, because of the camelback. but when its superhot i will ride in a bra. However, I'd never think to go shopping for a sportsbra at a LBS.

BUT I really like those bike shirts that are like a bra but longer - like this and will look for those in bike shops.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would never ride on a mtb trail in a sports bra alone..for a number of reasons. 1-Exposure to mosquitos and west nile virus, 2- if riding solo, too revealing..especially if I encounter a mechanical problem and can't ride away, 3-a fall would not be pretty.

Rails to trails or road riding is a different animal. I suggest IF you invest in them (and a lot of women do like to wear the shimmels), you focus on Small and Medium...don't know if large would be snapped up.

I only bike in jerseys..sometimes with a sports bra underneath (solid color that won't conflict with what I'm wearing). And, I do shop for best price and performance on that item.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
surfkayakers said:
Rails to trails or road riding is a different animal. I suggest IF you invest in them (and a lot of women do like to wear the shimmels), you focus on Small and Medium...don't know if large would be snapped up.
While that may be true in general... (I have no idea on sales stats) Size large isn't just for fat people - I wear a large and you can count my ribs - I'm just tall, have a big ribcage and chest. Not trying to be defensive - but I want a selection that fits me too! (Not that I even know where this shop is...) Though I will say the clearance rack at my gym has some skimpy tops in both XL and XS... so maybe primarily ordering the main 3 sizes makes sense.

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Bought all mine at the LBS

I have the short bras, and the long tummy-covering bras and got them all at my LBS. I always wear one under my jersey and got the long one for under my body armour. I will wear the long one alone on my road bike if it's hot enough, but prefer more protection while mountain biking.

I too am large of chest, so I don't even think about picking up cheaper versions. They just don't come in my size. I'm glad my LBS has them. So keep those larger sizes in stock!

Mary Ann

·
Registered
69 Posts
connie said:
While that may be true in general... (I have no idea on sales stats) Size large isn't just for fat people - I wear a large and you can count my ribs - I'm just tall, have a big ribcage and chest. Not trying to be defensive - but I want a selection that fits me too! (Not that I even know where this shop is...) Though I will say the clearance rack at my gym has some skimpy tops in both XL and XS... so maybe primarily ordering the main 3 sizes makes sense.
Ouch, .. I wasn't implying weight issue, only thinking support (I just don't tend to think that the bike brands put the customer experience/needs into design). thanks for the correction. I have the same problem as you ... my size not well stocked...but in this case, I wouldn't care for the reasons I listed. If my LBS chooses to sell this, I wouldn't personally be interested. I don't get into graphics on mtb apparel at all..I would look for function, ie, a sports bra that is extremely breathable and wicking..not colorful as it's primary feature. Camisoles and shimmels sat in my LBS and are now on sale from last year... I use the one I bought (on sale) for yoga!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a hard time finding a sports bra that fits without crushing me. I'm slender with ample teats (moo). I ended up with Champion's from a department store on sale. I'll have to check out the Adidas though.

I do ride with just the sport bra when it's really hot. When I crash I usually just beat up my legs. My arms get scratched regardless of a cover shirt or just the sport bra.

I don't care to wear plain white ones without a shirt because I usually am soaked when done riding, causing a bit of transparency :eek: I've only been able to find black and light blue otherwise. I personally would like more color choices/prints.

If the LBS carried sport bras that fit me, in colors or prints, I'd buy them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
best invention ever!

the best invention ever is the built in Bra tanks! I ride with them all the time. Most athletic brands have a line of them ie I have a couple of Nike/dry fit ones. Just a sports bra is a bit too little for me...the cheaper bra tanks dont offer the girls much support, so Nike,addidas etc are the way to go

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Good point that if they're not supportive enough, it probably wouldn't be a good idea for larger sizes. I haven't seen the Adidas ones, but the Nike bra-tops I have are very supportive for riding, for me anyway.

I also would be looking for color. Not crazy patterns, nothing that looks like a race jersey with a million colors and writing all over it, but something that looks... nice. I don't wear white riding because it gets dirty and it'll look like crap by the second wearing.

If you can find something that's good quality at a good price - I'll definitely buy it at full price. I'm normally a bargain hunter, but thinking of the tops I've bought at full price, they were all under $30. I just don't have the budget for more.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The only time I bought sports bras at the LBS was when PI made the Oh Air! elastic mesh ones. Unfortunately for me I found them just as they were discontinued.

I just went shopping for new sports bras and picked up a champion from the Academy, the local sports and outdoors chain. They had several styles and I picked a more form fitting one as apposed to a shelf. It's quite comfey and I plan to pick up another.

I don't ride in just the sports bra for all the reasons mentions above. I do change shirts in the parking lots or pull off my jersey to swim mid ride.

I wish there were more colors available and I would buy a cute print too but it can't cost more.

It's really about fit and how it feels on.

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
I'm all about the riding in only a sports bra. In South Florida, it gets damned hot, so I appreciate the extra wind against my body.

I go for the plain-jane black cheapo Target sports bras.

Of course, I'm a lowercase A cup, so a band-aid provides enough support. Actually, when I'm wearing a tank or something else with more coverage, I often just go braless.

I figure, there aren't many advantages to being small chested besides the ability to go braless and fit through small holes - so I take advantage of both of them to their fullest.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
The_Real_Cyclesmith said:

My @didas cycling rep was in my shop today and it's got me thinking about clothing. @didas has a lot more women's cycling clothing for '05 and I am putting together an order.

How popular is it for women to just wear sports bras while cycling? (I mean by themselves with no jersey over them...ones that have cool designs and stuff). A couple clothing lines I carry have cool sports bras (which I always carry a few). But, my reps have been pushing me to carry a lot more...I'm contemplating whether I should really bring in a lot of these in. I got jerseys, tanks, sleeveless jerseys, jackets, shorts, shoes, socks; you name it ...all in women's stuff. But the bra thing has got me puzzled. Do women really go to their LBS to pick up a cycling sports bra? I figure most women just pick up cheaper ones at Target and stuff, or go on the internet...I have no idea...I don't shop for bras!!! Thanks a ton for any help!!!
i NEVER wear just a sports bra for mtb'ing. i just don't like to have that much skin exposed in the woods with all the biting things and crashing opportunities. however, i ALWAYS wear a sports bra to ride. i've never tried the Addida's bras but i love my Pearl Izumi sports bras (bought 2 at my LBS and 1 at the PI outlet near my house) and my Champion sports bras.

however, i often wear my PI bra tops (the ones that cover my stomach) for road riding. in fact, i have a permanent tan line on my back from them! LOVE my bra tops for summer road riding. i bought 1 of the PI tops at my LBS, one at the PI outlet, and one online.

i prefer the name brand sports bras/bra tops. they fit better & last longer.

one suggestion: if the Addida's bras/tops come in size XS, GET THEM!!! contrary to what seems like popular belief, there are lots of size XS women who are looking for bras!

rt

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a cheap Target sports bra. The front is made of wicking material but the back is plain old cotton. That's the only downside. I usually wear that sports bra with a jersey over it. On really hot days I wear a cheap Target sports bra-tankini (no stomach hanging out). ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I swear by the Patagonia seamless capilene sports bra, they have great wicking capabilities. Not to mention they are super comfy and don't rub anywhere. They make a tank also with the built in bra, but I have yet to try that. They are a little pricey, but well worth it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.