Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember that I posted a thread about branson trails cuz im thinking about going to college there. I just finished the application process the other day, and am thinking about buying a new bike in the spring.

My local trek store is having a field day coming up and im gonna test out a bunch of bikes. Im thinking about getting a fuel ex8, but will also look the fisher 9er hardtail series (anything from the rig to the paragon).

But heres my question. Do the branson trails easily justify a full suspension, or are you happy on a hardtail? Basically, what do you ride? I know everyone has differing opinions, but do you think the trails generally demand more suspension or not?

Just looking to make an informed decision, seeing as I will probably buy my bike here in st louis before actually riding your trails bc there's a sale coming up.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a full suspension,its so plush I'll take comfort and speed downhill over good climbing.I also have a rigid 29er SS if want a good beating.I've seen a lot of HT at white river trail I would say HT would be fine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I an moving to KC later this year. I have a FS Ventana and a Jamis 29HT. I like to ride both...Ok here is the question. What type of terrain does Branson have? AM DH XC?
How lohg are the AM trails if you have them? If you have DH stuff how chunky/Steep is it...compared to what other trail in the US?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a full suspension GT, and a rigid single speed Trek...

Honestly, I like both. For the trails IN Branson, I would ride my single speed rigid...for Busiek, Chadwick, Devereaux, Syllamo and the like, I use my full suspension... Down south in Arkansas at Hobbs and Leatherwood, among others, I use the rigid...

Really, it depends on the day...I enjoy both equally...but some places, the rigid single speed is 100% useless.

Before I converted to a single speed, the rigid was a front shock and hard tail...and it really did well. Unless you are into the down hill stuff, spend your money on a good hard tail. You will get a better bike for the same $ if it is a hard tail. Good full suspension bikes are pricey...and you don't want to go cheap on them.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Different but good...

pcupach said:
I an moving to KC later this year. I have a FS Ventana and a Jamis 29HT. I like to ride both...Ok here is the question. What type of terrain does Branson have? AM DH XC?
How lohg are the AM trails if you have them? If you have DH stuff how chunky/Steep is it...compared to what other trail in the US?
In KC, you're going to find a great amount of well designed and built singletrack. We're also building some FR type stuff. But you're also moving to one of the flatest places in the country.

Great trails. Rocks, roots and fairly technical. No elevation.

Check out http://forums.earthriders.com for more trail information.

FYI: Branson is about 3.5 hours from KC.

Cheers,

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.