Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a helmet or two to go with my old bikes, but I need some help remembering what cyclists were wearing in the 80's. I've been doing searches for Etto, Bell V-1, Brancale, Skid Lid, and Bailen. Are there any other models I should be looking for?

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Just do yourselves a favor...keep in mind that polystyrene/styrofoam loses its shock-absorbing ability after 5 years. If you ride with a vintage helmet, make sure it is on easy trails.

I'd hate to see someone dead or or in the ICU because they were trying to be "Period Correct"

If you're going on a real ride, wear a current helmet. Your family will thank you!

Save the retro kitzch for show off days and the forum post pics!

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rich: It would really only be for show at Keyesville or other VRC gatherings, I'll still wear my modern Casco helmet (reinforced internally with alloy bars!) for regular riding. Actually, I could probably just get away with wearing that, it looks pretty retro anyway:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Actually, to be truly vintage and retro, you'd just ride sans helmet. But that's a can of worms that even I'm not going to open.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but I doubt they'd let me race without one (or with a hairnet). Don't tell my mom, but I ride without a helmet all the time. I have two skull fractures and a big scar to show for it too! :madman: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've got an NOS

Trek (lrg I think) I think in Day Glow Chartreuse if anyone needs it. Send me a PM maybe we can swap sumfin

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
I hear what you're saying Rich, but I still rock my vintage brain buckets Etto, Bell, Giro and my Monarch being the oldest in my collection, it has a fiberglass shell. I crashed two years ago and exploded one of my Giro Air Attacks that was a replacement from a '91 or '92 spill and it still did its job. I wore a White w/black zebra stripes Etto helmet last weekend in our annual Christmas parade while riding one of my Klein Attitudes and sporting the matching jersey. Yes my Klein had knobs:)

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
173 Posts
These are a couple of mine.
I like every single one of them although none of them is looking any cool.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
I went digging and found a few more including an Avenir, Sprecialized, Protec and another Giro with a helmet panty:D . I also have a big box of NOS Hot Tops helmet covers, Vigor "Shadow" visors, Cool-Head neon helmet visors and Etto Piccolo "Bear Ears" from the fun days of mountain biking. Didn't Bula make the mohawk and mullet helmet covers? Ahhhh, those were the days.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Here's Anomie rockin' the new helmet and the unknown bike. It does have a nice retro look:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Bell Helmet with a Topographic Map of Mt. Tamalpias

I remember a special edition Bell helmet with a topographic map of marin's Mt Tam as the graphic.

Anyone actually have one of these or perhaps a picture???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts