Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a week old superfly 100 and the fox rp23 just puked and dripped oil all over the carpet in my basement. WTF, I just bought this bike and the shock can't last a week!!!! I had the shock at 160psi and it purged all the oil out of the shock onto the floor. A seal must have blown on this thing when I wasn't ridding it, how the hell does that happen? Has anybody else had this happen on the new RP23's with the boost valve???

I am so pissed I am half tempted to send Gary Fisher the carpet cleaning bill, not to mention my $5300 brand new bike is unrideable and I don't intend to wait more that a few days to have this solved......not on a bike this expensive!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don"t Blame Gary Fisher

Your shock problem has nothing to do with Gary Fisher as a manufacturer. Lot's of bikes come with Fox RP23 shocks on them. I had one in for warranty this year on a different bike. It happens. Sucks that it happened to you so soon but it happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
Your shock problem has nothing to do with Gary Fisher as a manufacturer. Lot's of bikes come with Fox RP23 shocks on them. I had one in for warranty this year on a different bike. It happens. Sucks that it happened to you so soon but it happens.
+1 It's the shock manufacturer not the bike company, I hope you get this worked out so you can get back to riding!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took my fly 100 to my LBS where I bought the bike and they pulled a shock off another fly 100 and I am back in action. They said that have had a few of the rp23's loose seals like this, so to your point, it sounds like it is Fox problem.

They pulled the shock off a 17" bike and put it on my 23" bike. I assume the valving on the shocks is the same regardless of size?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
nuckingfuts2 said:
Took my fly 100 to my LBS where I bought the bike and they pulled a shock off another fly 100 and I am back in action. They said that have had a few of the rp23's loose seals like this, so to your point, it sounds like it is Fox problem.

They pulled the shock off a 17" bike and put it on my 23" bike. I assume the valving on the shocks is the same regardless of size?
The one from the 17" bike will be 6 inches shorter.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
Wow that is horrible. But honestly my first emotion is jealously. A SF100 in stock.......wowsers. I like the other person on this list will be waiting till march. 2 1/2 months down and three more to go. Hope everything works ok with the new shock.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Brewboy74 said:
Wow that is horrible. But honestly my first emotion is jealously. A SF100 in stock.......wowsers. I like the other person on this list will be waiting till march. 2 1/2 months down and three more to go. Hope everything works ok with the new shock.
i might tell the lbs i bought it from to make sure they can get parts asap if anything like this happens to mine...:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
nuckingfuts2 said:
I have a week old superfly 100 and the fox rp23 just puked and dripped oil all over the carpet in my basement. WTF, I just bought this bike and the shock can't last a week!!!! I had the shock at 160psi and it purged all the oil out of the shock onto the floor. A seal must have blown on this thing when I wasn't ridding it, how the hell does that happen? Has anybody else had this happen on the new RP23's with the boost valve???

I am so pissed I am half tempted to send Gary Fisher the carpet cleaning bill, not to mention my $5300 brand new bike is unrideable and I don't intend to wait more that a few days to have this solved......not on a bike this expensive!!
Awesome!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Both my fork and shock are off the bike and set to be sent back to Fox on Monday. The fork has a knock in it...not fore-aft like loose bushings but up-down in the first few mm of travel. The shock lost all its rebound dampening. The fork had the knock new, the shock started having issues after the 3rd ride. We'll see what happens!

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
UPDATE:

As I stated, my RP23 is leaking fluid down the main shaft. I would not call it "blown out" seal, but more then it should.

Placed a call to FOX about the issue. They know that some shocks are leaking Float Fluid. When they are put together they should have a certain amount of float fluid but I was told some have extra fluid which may be the cause of "seaping" seal.

The great thing is that NO questions asked they offered to mail me out a complete seal kit for the shock along with float fluid. That is great customer service imho.

I am going to monitor mine and will not install seals unless the shock begins to not work properly.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
since i don't want to mess with something like this, i hope that the shop i got it from will take care of it for me! :thumbsup:

WeatherMan said:
UPDATE:

As I stated, my RP23 is leaking fluid down the main shaft. I would not call it "blown out" seal, but more then it should.

Placed a call to FOX about the issue. They know that some shocks are leaking Float Fluid. When they are put together they should have a certain amount of float fluid but I was told some have extra fluid which may be the cause of "seaping" seal.

The great thing is that NO questions asked they offered to mail me out a complete seal kit for the shock along with float fluid. That is great customer service imho.

I am going to monitor mine and will not install seals unless the shock begins to not work properly.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
WeatherMan said:
UPDATE:

Your shock is not working properly, it is leaking oil. Seal kits are cheap, when you get the new one, put it in don't think twice about it. With a proper seal kit you won't have to service again for a long time, and when you do service, it's like $20. Running the shock without lubrication or with low lube can lead to wear and sealing problems in areas that aren't cheap to fix.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am 6'4" and it fits perfect. I rode a 21" at Interbike and it was too tight in the cockpit. I have a long torso and long arms so the 23" is the ticket for me.

I also rode a xl and xxl Santacruz tallboy and the xxl was a much better feel as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.