Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Epic EVO Comp (about 250km total only, mostly on even and non challenging terrain).

Yesterday I went for a ride and the rear through axle came loose completely. Luckily it was as I was setting off after a short stop, but there seems to be some damage. As I clipped in and pushed down the chain pulled the rear wheel completely out its position, resulting in a bent rear disc break, wheel completely stuck, etc. I have a real concern about the pressure it is applying on the carbon frame in this position.

Anyway, it is going back to the bike shop first thing this morning. My question is - why would this happen so quickly? I have read a few posts on this topic with many suggestions and possible causes, but this bike is brand new with premium components...

The bike shop did a tubeless conversion for me when I bought it, so I think this was the last time the rear wheel was removed. These guys are pro‘s and a very reputable Specialized dealer - I do not think the issue is not fixing it correctly or applying the right amount of torque. It never gave my any indication on previous rides that it was not tight - everything was fantastic.

I dont want to play a blame game here, just understand what happened or why, so it wont happen going downhill at high pace as this would have dire consequences. You want to always fully trust your equipment.

Finally I hope this would be repaired under warranty, but my concern is still that the rear carbon triangle is not damaged in any way.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Myself, my son, and a good friend all have Specialized mtbs, and all three have had a common issue: The rear through-axle coming loose. Check it frequently, as in, every time you ride. There is a warning that something is amiss. The bike will suddenly start shifting really clunky and won't stay on a gear on the rear cog. If this happens, stop immediately and check the torque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, well noted. That is exactly what happened - shifting went all over the show - I was not sure why and planned checking it back home. Now I will know next time, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
507 Posts
Upon further inspection of your pics, I have figured out the issue.

That oil slick valve stem has made your wheel too slippery for the thru axle to hold it in place...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks for the advice, well noted. That is exactly what happened - shifting went all over the show - I was not sure why and planned checking it back home. Now I will know next time, thanks a lot!
Kind of a pain to check all the time especially on the trail, so what I did was take a crayon/grease pencil type marker to mark on the bolt head and frame, after I tightened the bolt. That way, super easy visual check if the bolt has loosened.

My Spesh (difft model) had same problem of rear axle coming loose too often/frequently, even after cranking it down quite a bit. I talk to Spesh and they said to crank it down as hard as I could. Still worked itself loose, but over time, the problem disappeared... Perhaps the threads just needed to be worn in a bit or there was some coating on the threads.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Always do your own torque check, always.
Yeah. I had a Mino link fall out of a new Top Fuel on the first or second ride. People screw up, and it didn't occur to me to check the torque on a new, factory built bike. Oops. I'd not trust that a shop torqued it properly either, personally. With regards to the thru-axle on this bike, if it is some sort of common issue, maybe get a different axle from Wolftooth etc? Or maybe a tiny drop of loctite? Sucks that it happened and bent the rotor.

·
West Chester, PA
4,958 Posts
Wow. The frame is really not supposed to be forced apart that much.

Through bolt axles are nice for saving a few grams, but unfortunately there is no visual indication when they very loose. If a qr lever comes open at least you might see it

·
West Chester, PA
4,958 Posts
I'm surprised the lawyers haven't required some sort of safety device yet. You could have a little plastic thing that plugs into the end of the axle with a pointer on it. If the pointer moves, you know you have a problem. Like those plastic pointers they put on the lug nuts of school buses.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
It is called grease, grease the entire axle well and it will not come loose.
I had it happen to the rear axle once as the OP described, was really perplexed by it. Then I read the same advice somewhere else, followed it and haven't had an issue since.

That said, transporting requires my removing the front wheel, so I always check the axles when arriving at the trail by default.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,275 Posts
Newbies.

Consider it a lesson learned. Also, one should double check the fasteners on a bike unless you have a lot of confidence in your LBS.

As far as axles are concerned, some loosen easily, others don’t. My V1 429 Trail would loosen often for the first few weeks of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
take some fingernail polish and mark the bolt head to the frame. then a quick glance will tell you if it moved. used to do this on my motorcycles.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
The question is why would this happen. I've never had a rear wheel come loose with thru axle or qr. I've gone hundreds of miles without checking and only touch the axle if I'm doing maintenance or fixing a flat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts