Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,
Have you seen this kind of stain before (as per attached pict). It was the only Blur that fit me and I was looking for Annodized. The LBS tried bike polish but to no avail.

I wrote to SC to see if they have a solution as to how to remove the stains. No reply yet. Are they that slow, it's been about 2 or 3 weeks.

Regards,
Uncle Mui

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only 1 in my size left which is annodized. Anyway got a good deal from the shop.

Perhaps SC has seen this with anno and have some solution to get it off.

Thanks for your thought though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think you'll find answers if you call the warranty dept or speak with one of the techs. You can contact Tim Field [email protected]; he's really good about getting back to people; give him a call and send him an email. Don't wait weeks for somebody to call you back; all kinds of things can happen to electronic messages.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
rku, what kind of hydraulic brakes are on that bike? I'm wondering about brake fluid. However, that almost looks like it came out of the headset...though I'm not sure that makes any sense. I have an ano Nomad, and I can see this finish being much more prone to stains resulting from chemicals and even the odd soil/mud types you get in different places where you ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem on my Blur anodized blue once I put a sticker with my name on it for the 04 racing season, after I took it off you could still read my name because the sticker protected it from fading with the sunlight I guess.

I hope you get an answer from santa cruz if you do please post it

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Try cleaning it with acetone....

rku615 said:
Have you seen this kind of stain before (as per attached pict). It was the only Blur that fit me and I was looking for Annodized. The LBS tried bike polish but to no avail.
I haven't seen that before, but try wiping it down with acetone. LIGHTLY. Or better yet, try wiping it somewhere hidden first just to be sure you're not going to do damage. Acetone is strong stuff.

·
Registered
400 Posts
zapobiker said:
I have the same problem on my Blur anodized blue once I put a sticker with my name on it for the 04 racing season, after I took it off you could still read my name because the sticker protected it from fading with the sunlight I guess.

I hope you get an answer from santa cruz if you do please post it
Anodized finishes definitely fade over time with exposure to sunlight. I don't think there's much you could do for that other than to re-anodize it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That looks like a chemical stain, I really don't know if there is anything you can do, polishing might have mad it worse. I would try finish line biotech 2 degreaser, if that doesn't do it you are probably SOL. The acetone might mess up the anodizing by staining it white. another option would be to polish the whole frame but if it was me I would just ride it, at first you will notice it a lot, but after a few good rides you will forget about it and enjoy your kick a bike.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,
Thanks for your inputs. I will certainly contact Tim Field.

I saw the stain there before it was built up. Using Shimano brakes, I think it's mineral oil.

Tried various degreasers to no avail.

Will post when I get reply from SC folks.

Thanks and regards,
Uncle Mui

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
rku615 said:
Guys,
Thanks for your inputs. I will certainly contact Tim Field.

I saw the stain there before it was built up. Using Shimano brakes, I think it's mineral oil.

Tried various degreasers to no avail.

Will post when I get reply from SC folks.

Thanks and regards,
Uncle Mui
Ain't gonna make your riding no worse, I know its always gonna be in the back of your mind, but if it was me I'd ask for some SC swag & bill it as a unique "one-off frame".

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks 1-hand-man,
You advise is good. After some mud splashes the stain is not going to make much difference.

We'll see how SC response. Wrote to Tim. I'll probably ask for a jersey.

Regards,
Uncle Mui

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.