Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find something that keeps me physically active when I'm not in the office, but is also fun. I wanted something that allowed me to be outside. So I stopped by my local bike shop a few weeks ago and took a look around. After looking at the prices I did a bit of research before I put down any money. Here's what I ended up buying:

It's a 2019 Trek Marlin 5.

Although I'm sure there are better options at this price point, I've really enjoyed the bike so far, and it was fairly inexpensive at $550. I can definitely see myself upgrading to something with full suspension in the future, but I'm having a great time with this hardtail as I start to progress as a rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,045 Posts
Have you considered going with a clipless pedal / shoe combo? Being one with the bike is like a marriage without an argument.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Have you considered going with a clipless pedal / shoe combo? Being one with the bike is like a marriage without an argument.
Sheesh, he just started riding and you are already suggesting costly upgrades.

Let him discover it by himself, otherwise he will run off when he realizes what he got into.

He needs to get bike sick first, so it develops into addiction, then you can talk Bikes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have quite a few hobbies and I have always found that starting with the "base level" and building skills first allows for one to progress much better at whatever it is they are doing. Sort of the "walk before you can run" attitude I suppose. For now I'm going to keep the bike as is, and get a feel for it. But I will look in to it in the future.

·
No known cure
5,731 Posts
Welcome to the lifestyle and your soon to be affliction with upgradeitis. We all suffer from it. Resistance is futile. You might want to remove the reflectors. They're just going to fall off on the trail anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.