Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking for a new bike and have always wanted a Cannondale. I found a not so local bike ship that's an authorized Cannondale dealer, but they have some of older model year bikes in stock for significant discounts. These bikes are brand new and have been on the showroom floor their whole life. They're from 2012 some might be older but never trail ridden.

My question is can anything go bad overtime on the bikes by just sitting around the store? Here are some examples of the bikes:
1) 2012 Cannondale Scalple 3 Hi Mod Carbon for $2,200
2) 2012 Cannondale Jekyll 4 $1,900
3) Cannondale F2 Lefty $1,350

So what do you guys think, are these good deals? Would you buy them or does it seem fishy that these bikes haven't been sold yet? Also how would the warenty work on something like this. I know the frame has a life time warrenty but other components have typically a 1 or 2 year warrenty, since these bikes are already a few years old does that mean I would be loosing out on the warrenty on the components? Also is there anything I should watch out for when buying "new" older model bikes?

And lastely would I be better off just buying a cheaper model Cannondale but from a current year or maybe look for a 2013 model for a smaller discount?

Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
388 Posts
For me if that Scalpel was the right size I would jump on it. The shop will take care of you on components in that situation, but i can imagine there would be any issues with it them even at that age. Only thing would be the fluid in the brake lines. I don't know how long that can sit without breaking down. Beyond that the tires should be good as long as these bikes were not sitting in a window display the whole time with the sun beating down on them. I got a deal on my Flash Carbon 29r at the end of 12 due to the fact they wanted to move it. That Scalpel would be a great deal imo. Not sure what components came on that year level.

·
o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
235 Posts
Why would you need to worry?
They are still brand new bikes that were left over from previous years. Just because they are still in the shop it does not mean that it would be fishy. If they are a Cannondale dealer, then all new bike warranty would be supplied with the bikes. Even if you ended up purchasing a leftover from 2010 the same warranty would apply as it is still an unregistered new old stock bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just concerned because all the other bike shops that I called didn't have any left over models, and I called about 10 other stores. On another note, when I was looking for a cannondale for my girlfriend this shop was the only shop to charge bellow MSRP for their brand new bikes, all the others charged MSRP and wouldn't negotiate the price. When I mentioned this shop to another cannondale dealer in the area the guy on the phone said that "those guys don't properly assemble their bikes." and that he has three bikes in the shop being fixed that were bought at that bike shop.

I was going to make sure all the proper components are on the bike before buying it and also bring the bike to a reputable bike shop and pay them to have the bike inspected before I took it on a trail.

thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.