Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey wassup ppl...i am a proud owner of a 2008 FSR XC RIM(cause that was my budget)...and ive got some questions i need to ask. Well here is my question...can i change the rear shocks to a Fox unit with a 7.5" length and 2" stroke cause i know the stock is a 7" length and 1.6" stroke?. I was thinin about either the DHX 5.0 or the RP23 units. As for the Fork I know Rock Shox is a good brand but I would like to get the Fox Float R or the Fox Vanilla R?. I would love to get some opinions...im just stoked that i got my FSR and loving the ride. All the upgrades right now are on a budget so all those components i mentioned are not the best......Should I also get the BETD link to get some more travel adjustments?.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need info!!!

So has anyone here put a different rear shock on there fsr yet?. And also what about forks?.

·
Registered
126 Posts
a shock and fork? the bike was probably about $1200, a good shock is $300 and a good fork is $500, for a total of $2000 you could have had a stumpjumper FSR.

if you want to upgrade already you might want to sell the bike and get something different, its a huge waste of money to try and upgrade parts on a bike like that, shifters and derailleurs are one thing, but shocks and forks are another.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You want to upgrade all of that stuff on a bike you just paid 1200 for? You need to bring that bike back to shop and get a diff. one. A DHX won't work well w/that bike. I am suprised your shop would sell you this bike if you are thinking about BETD links and Vanilla forks. You prob. want an enduro by the sounds of what you are interested in, though you would prob do just as well with a stumpy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True

At the time when I got my bike my budget was only 1100 which really i paid for, but the upgrades are not soon though it will be down the road. I couldve gotten a 2003 enduro but it was an old bike and I wanted a newer model. But thanks for the opinions though, I shouldve gotten the stumpy but like I said that was my budget. Has anyone with an FSR done what I would be doing soon....:thumbsup:

Hold up I feel like ppl are not giving much love to the FSR, I hope this is not true.

·
Registered
385 Posts
fsr is a great bike, after a month or 2 i switched to better discbrakes and stronger rim's (hayes nine 180 front&rear, and Sun Singletracks)
I thought about the BETD link. there are a few topics going about this betd upgrade. things i read about it are all positive.
maybe a shorter stem, better cranks/bracket is a usefull upgrade.

my 2c

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jappo said:
fsr is a great bike, after a month or 2 i switched to better discbrakes and stronger rim's (hayes nine 180 front&rear, and Sun Singletracks)
I thought about the BETD link. there are a few topics going about this betd upgrade. things i read about it are all positive.
maybe a shorter stem, better cranks/bracket is a usefull upgrade.

my 2c

Originally it had rim brakes, but I did switch to disc, but also going to hydros from mechs, it may take me awhile to fully get the bike I want but at least its in my budget to do. It already came with a shorty stem...so far though im very happy with my FSR. Also must I really put a 7"x 1.6" stroke rear shock. I have looked around for that spec but only found 6.5" and 7.5" from fox, rock shox, and marz.

·
Registered
934 Posts
djmarkian said:
Hold up I feel like ppl are not giving much love to the FSR, I hope this is not true.
Not trying to make you feel that you're getting flamed here, but may I ask why you bought this when you felt like upgrading everything? For me, I got my FSRxc when the shop gal talked me into full suspension. I knew very little about mt. biking but was focused on learning everything. I was looking at a $800 budget for a HT and I'm so glad she encouraged me! It was a good price for the Comp model ($1200) back then.

As I fell in love with the sport, and got more and more accustomed to how my bike felt and what it SHOULD feel like, I started the upgrades. Now my FSRxc is worth more than the basic Stumpy (not a good thing) but I love my bike! So my other question is, did you have other options when you made your purchase? Or did you NOT intend on upgrades until you bought it? Without a doubt, if I could start all over, I would save up and buy the best bike that makes sense, most likely a Stumpy Expert.

As for suggestions, the greatest difference I felt in my upgrades was my fork (Fox F100RL). That may be great for you too. Your frame is an M4 (mine is an A1 :mad: ) so it's essentially a Stumpy of a few years back, definititely worth building on. But you should ride the heck out of most of it first. My next upgrade will be a new wheelset. Now THAT'S going to cost me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
onegymrat said:
Not trying to make you feel that you're getting flamed here, but may I ask why you bought this when you felt like upgrading everything? For me, I got my FSRxc when the shop gal talked me into full suspension. I knew very little about mt. biking but was focused on learning everything. I was looking at a $800 budget for a HT and I'm so glad she encouraged me! It was a good price for the Comp model ($1200) back then.

As I fell in love with the sport, and got more and more accustomed to how my bike felt and what it SHOULD feel like, I started the upgrades. Now my FSRxc is worth more than the basic Stumpy (not a good thing) but I love my bike! So my other question is, did you have other options when you made your purchase? Or did you NOT intend on upgrades until you bought it? Without a doubt, if I could start all over, I would save up and buy the best bike that makes sense, most likely a Stumpy Expert.

As for suggestions, the greatest difference I felt in my upgrades was my fork (Fox F100RL). That may be great for you too. Your frame is an M4 (mine is an A1 :mad: ) so it's essentially a Stumpy of a few years back, definititely worth building on. But you should ride the heck out of most of it first. My next upgrade will be a new wheelset. Now THAT'S going to cost me!

As you said you didnt intent to upgrade your FSR, but when the bug bites you, it bites and of course you know how that feels:thumbsup: , I had other options like a Cannondale prophet(too much) and an 03 Enduro(too old). So I got the 08 FSR, I didnt even know it was an 08 til I saw the paintjob. Its Satin Grey but instead of the XC in light grey its blue and the fsr link is also blue(ill post pics soon). Im not gonna upgrade right now im just doing more research and do the whole upgrade by next year or so. Im gonna take it slow and I know I will be breaking things. Post a pic of your FSR as well.

·
Registered
934 Posts
djmarkian said:
As you said you didnt intent to upgrade your FSR, but when the bug bites you, it bites and of course you know how that feels:thumbsup: , I had other options like a Cannondale prophet(too much) and an 03 Enduro(too old). So I got the 08 FSR, I didnt even know it was an 08 til I saw the paintjob. Its Satin Grey but instead of the XC in light grey its blue and the fsr link is also blue(ill post pics soon). Im not gonna upgrade right now im just doing more research and do the whole upgrade by next year or so. Im gonna take it slow and I know I will be breaking things. Post a pic of your FSR as well.
Dude, regardless of what some may say, just do what makes you happy! Like someone stated, when you fall in love with your bike, you'll want to ride it all the time! Like I stated, this bike needs a lighter wheelset, but that won't stop me from buying a new bike in the fall though! Here's the most recent pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Remember, you have the FSRxc, and not the FSR, which is the Stumpjumper FSR. There is a difference as you are learning here. I wanted the TALAS fork, XT cranks, and XTR rear derailleur which is why I focused on the Stumpy FSR. It turned out to be a great bike. Yours is also a great bike, but most people will encourage you to but everything you can up front to hold you for a while. The problem (as I see it) with my Stumpy FSR Elite, is that while you get some great stuff, you also get stupid parts like the LX cassette and shifters, along with the craptacular rear hub. So, you end up having to pitch a lot of parts prematurely for a bike of this cost.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Confirmed-I just called Fox Racing Shox and they said that they do not sell a 7.0" x 1.6" to the public. I believe the 05 and 06 FSR XC all came with a 6.5" x 1.5" shocks and for some reason Specialized tweaked the frame geometry enough for their 07 and 08 models to bump the shock length up to 7.0". Does anybody know why?

·
Registered
126 Posts
onegymrat said:
so it's essentially a Stumpy of a few years back
seriously i don't know what i always come off like an ass when i'm talking online, but i mean well i promise.

but an fsrXC is a 100mm bike, a stumpjumper is a 120mm bike. they are NOT the same weather or not they have the same materials / specs. a 100mm bike is not a 120mm bike. the 100mm bike might even be better for some people, i pumped my shocks up enough to only get 100mm of travel out of my 06 SJ when I raced it, so the geometry of the FSRxc might have been better for XC racing anyway.

but they are different bikes not just different component groups and frame materials.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
mikebowyer said:
seriously i don't know what i always come off like an ass when i'm talking online, but i mean well i promise.

but an fsrXC is a 100mm bike, a stumpjumper is a 120mm bike. they are NOT the same weather or not they have the same materials / specs. a 100mm bike is not a 120mm bike. the 100mm bike might even be better for some people, i pumped my shocks up enough to only get 100mm of travel out of my 06 SJ when I raced it, so the geometry of the FSRxc might have been better for XC racing anyway.

but they are different bikes not just different component groups and frame materials.

Maybe not NOW they're not the same, but the keywords were a few years back. Take a look at a 2004 stumpjumper fsr. Rear/front travel were both set @ 100mm. So, yes, essentially the fsrxc is like the old stumpy. Different frame design, but same suspension design with the same amount of front and rear travel. Even for their $4,000 anniversary edition. It wasn't until 2005 that they introduced a 120mm model. And pumping your shock up to acheive only 100mm of travel meant you had too much sag, which probably meant it was actually shitty for xc racing, but that's just my opinion. So no, you don't look like someone coming off as an ass. Just someone who doesn't know what they're talking about!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dunno your reasoning man. I originally intended on getting a 08 rockhopper and upgrading that but when I added everything up it was too much and totally not worth it. I ended up saving a little bit more money and just getting a 07 fsrxc comp which has everything I want on it. I do plan to upgrade it but only as stuff breaks or I feel like I'm being held back by the bike(unlikely).

Why not ride it till **** starts breaking? Or are you some kinda pro?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Take a look at the 06 and 07 bike brochures and compare the SJ FSR’s and the FSR XCs side by side and you will notice the rear chain stays on the 07 SJ slope downward to the dropouts and the chain stays on the 06 SJ are level. I believe Specialized lengthened the shock on the 07 SJ but kept the stroke the same. Likewise, the 07 FSR XC has a 7.0" x 1.6" shock and the 06 has a 6.5" x 1.5" shock--both years have 100mm of rear travel, which is dictated by the stroke of the shock and the linkage geometry. The angle of the chain stays for the 06 and 07 FSR XC look identical in the brochures and the only noticeable difference is in the length of the shock--everything else looks the same. The specs. also say that both years have the same BB height as well so I do not know why Specialized change the shock lengths in the 07 models. I wonder if a 6.5" x 1.5" shock would work on a 07 FSR XC frame--has anybody tried this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which?....

Which fork to get?, ive got some good deals on a Fox Vanilla r and Marzocchi all mountain 1. Anyone got any input?.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts