Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time lurker first time poster.

I bought a new bike two weeks ago. I got a Trek Stache 6
with the RockShox XC32. I have less then ten miles on the bike,
And the miles I have put on have been on paved trails with my four year old daughter.

Last night when I got home from our little ride I noticed the seal, or rubber ring on the top of the shock had slid up about halfway up the stanchion. I pushed it back down but then started wondering if it was something I should get checked out.

The rubber ring had some oil on it, but I cant tell that anything had leaked. There were no drips or anything that I could see.

My finger is pointing to where it was at when I noticed it.
Is this a normal thing to happen? Do I need to take it into my shop?

Thanks for any input.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I think the fork needs to go back. It has a leaky seal on the air side that causes the dust wiper to pop off. Rock Shox will warranty it, they did for me.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think the fork needs to go back. It has a leaky seal on the air side that causes the dust wiper to pop off. Rock Shox will warranty it, they did for me.
New forks also show oil on the stanchions, this is normal.
Still not sure if you're talking about the O-ring that shows amount of travel or the actual seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
New forks also show oil on the stanchions, this is normal.
Still not sure if you're talking about the O-ring that shows amount of travel or the actual seal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok i'm not the only one.

OP, can you post a pic from straight on? also, did you remove the "seal" you're talking about, or press it back down, or up?

if it looks like the red ring below, this is perfectly normal, it simply tells you how much of your fork "travel" you used since last time you pressed it back down.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Looks like the Dust wiper seal.
I don't see a Sag indicator ?
I would take it in.

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
^This.

The same thing happened to me on a brand new reba. Seems like this issue is fairly common on the new rock shox forks. I think they are sourcing crappy o rings. I used the rebuild kit that they included with the new fork and the same thing happened 2 weeks later. I then bought the orings off a local o ring shop, a $2.50 value. The fork has been solid since, that was about 3 months ago.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah so it was the dust wiper/seal. Warranty repair. The guy at the shop said sometimes the air gets diverted and then pops the seal off. I couldn't make out if it was like a defect thing, or maybe if my weight caused it, I'm a heavier rider. 270. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
Yeah so it was the dust wiper/seal. Warranty repair. The guy at the shop said sometimes the air gets diverted and then pops the seal off. I couldn't make out if it was like a defect thing, or maybe if my weight caused it, I'm a heavier rider. 270. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Make sure they change your air pinston o rings, if not, the dust wiper will just pop out again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.