Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got my new Canyon Lux. My new bike day happiness was shortlived when I found creaking sound even before riding it. It produces a creaking sound when I press the saddle down at stationary. Here's a link to a video. Creaking on brand new Canyon Lux

Seat post was applied with carbon assembly paste and torqued to specs. Not the saddle as well since pressing down on the seat post will create the squeak also. I've used silicone spray on all the pivot joints. I've also sprayed inside the frame through the holes on the bottle cage mounts just in case it's the cables squeaking. The noise reduced and almost completely gone when I went out riding after the above lubrication. However, after 1-2 days, it will reappear.

Does anyone have tips or suggestions? I contacted Canyon and they ask me to send it to a local bike shop to get it fixed. Due to COVID situation, many bike shops are closed. So I'm trying to see what I can do at home before finding a bike shop that can check on this.

· Boom bap ambassador
1,003 Posts
Do you hear the sound if you disconnect the shock from the rear mount point?

It looks/sounds like it is either that or the lower pivot making the noise...do you still hear the noise if you don't press down on the saddle (like press down on the cranks with pedal or on the top tube)?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you hear the sound if you disconnect the shock from the rear mount point?

It looks/sounds like it is either that or the lower pivot making the noise...do you still hear the noise if you don't press down on the saddle (like press down on the cranks with pedal or on the top tube)?
I have not tried disconnecting the shock. Do I need to bleed all the air out before disconnecting the shock rear mount point?
Pressing down on the cranks with pedal does produce the creak as well. I have not tried pressing the top tube since this is a a carbon frame.

· Boom bap ambassador
1,003 Posts
You don't have to air down the shock to disconnect it and the rationale there is to isolate that connection as a cause from the lower pivot(s) being the cause. That will also allow you to cycle the frame through travel by hand without using the seat post or saddle on the off chance that is the cause of the noise.

I agree with the others here that it sounds like something not torqued to spec where something dry sounds different in my experience.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, I have some update on my quest to root cause this problem. I torqued all pivots to the spec except for 3 of them which is hard to reach and require some disassembly. The noise is still there. Before attempting the 3 difficult-to-reach pivots, I used silicone spray liberally inside the frame via the tiny bottle cage screw hole. The noise was gone completely! I think the problem is in the internal cables. However, within 15 mins the noise came back. It's frustrating. Is it possible that the silicone spray isn't good enough as a lubricant to remove noise on cables? The Lux has 2 cable housing that routes from the frame out to the chainstay for brakes and rear derailleur. I am highly suspecting this cable housing that's causing the creak. I've attached photos below for better illustration. Can I apply some grease to these 2 cable housing? I can't reach from inside of the frame. Only possible way is from the outside as shown in the photo.

· Registered
4,128 Posts
If it is those housings than applying grease should fix the issue. Just make sure you use a carbon safe grease (not all bike greases are), I use the Park Polylube 1000. Silicone spray isn't thick enough and won't last long. If the creaking is just coming from where the housings exit/enter the frame then just putting some grease on a cotton swap and wiping on those exposed portions ought to do it. If its internal, then you're going to have to pull the housing out to lube them. Some bikes have a plastic plate on the downtube or bottom bracket that give you access to the housings, I don't know if the Lux does or not.

· Registered
161 Posts
You can also try pushing the cable housing into the frame a bit more.. it may just be in a"touchy" spot. pushing more housing into the bike can alleviate the creaking, or any rattling you may be hearing.. conversely pulling some housing out can help too... just experiment a little before taking every thing out and trying to grease it all.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Providing an update on my bike creak issue. So I applied some grease to both cable housings last night and the creak disappeared. Got up this morning and the creak is still gone. Feeling pretty good so far! Will monitor it for a couple of days but I'm pretty confident it's solved!

Thanks a bunch to you guys out there. It's been great help!

· Magically Delicious
14,223 Posts
I'm also interested in this grease discussion. Searched in the web and there are claims on both ends. All greases are safe vs. only specific ones should be used for carbon frames.
I'm interested in seeing any industry standards or data that can validate that only specific grease can/should be used on carbon.
I'm not aware of any.

· Registered
933 Posts
Providing an update on my bike creak issue. So I applied some grease to both cable housings last night and the creak disappeared. Got up this morning and the creak is still gone. Feeling pretty good so far! Will monitor it for a couple of days but I'm pretty confident it's solved!

Thanks a bunch to you guys out there. It's been great help!
How did you apply grease there? Did you simply drag that "plastic" part out together with rear triangle or? As it's pretty hard to reach place between rear triangle and frame to do any proper greasing.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did you apply grease there? Did you simply drag that "plastic" part out together with rear triangle or? As it's pretty hard to reach place between rear triangle and frame to do any proper greasing.
It's hard to reach but possible using a cotton swab. I applied grease to the tip of the cotton swab and applied it surrounding the cable housing where it exits the frame. Then work the suspension a couple of times and the creak is gone.

· Registered
933 Posts
@mooncake2 ah ok. My Lux is back in Canyon for 3 months now (cracked seatstay for no apparent reason), so no issues with creaking :rolleyes:, but I was more interested in how to put rear triangle apart and how to handle that cable guides. So I was thinking you did it that way, and that's why I asked :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.