Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I researched enough to learn from Shiggy the BB7 is the new label for the BBDB.

Can someone tell me if it is OK for a brand new boutique bike equipped with a BBDB on one end and a BB7 on the other?

One has the red/white/black BBDB label the other silk-screened AVID BB7

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm not sure why/how a brand new bike would get the older model but if it's not used and works, it wouldn't bother me. Just curious as to what pads you got with each (you'd have to take 'em out and look at the markings on the back).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The older type N BBDB also shipped with a 165mm rotor rather than a 160mm. To use the type N with a 160 the CPS washers or the mounting bracket need to be modified.

I would not worry about what pads are installed. They wear out and are replaced soon enough.

The newer type F caliper was also called the BBDB before the Juicy and BB5 brakes were introduced.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both calipers are new, but when you spend $$$$ on a custom you'd tend to expect a matched set.

Front and rear pads are marked:

AVID
B4-R

AVID
B4-L

Bikinfoolferlife said:
I'm not sure why/how a brand new bike would get the older model but if it's not used and works, it wouldn't bother me. Just curious as to what pads you got with each (you'd have to take 'em out and look at the markings on the back).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ExtraStout said:
Both calipers are new, but when you spend $$$$ on a custom you'd tend to expect a matched set.

Front and rear pads are marked:

AVID
B4-R

AVID
B4-L
The "L" and "R" mean left and right. There is one of each in each caliper.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
On third reading, you have two newer type F calipers. The only difference is the cosmetics of the label. Would not bother me in the least.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Same caliper. The label is the only difference. IIRC the red and white label was used even after the BB7 name was introduced.

Your brakes are a matched set.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the help!

shiggy said:
Same caliper. The label is the only difference. IIRC the red and white label was used even after the BB7 name was introduced.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
shiggy said:

Is Avid still producing the brakes as BBDBs (certain markets)? I bought a pair from the local Performance this afternoon, reasoning price match plus another 10% off was worth the old sticker. The instruction sheet clearly says 2002, however the caliper has a "Apr 05" sticker/stamp on it. Are these Apr 05, 2001/2 calipers, or something made in 2005?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts