Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone has this and found a fix?
I know I'm a bit "OCD" but bike this high end - I was a bit hesitant to buy a bike with a PF BB, and I'm thinking that is the likely culprit - which bums me out.
But I haven't brought it into the Intense dealer to check on it yet.
I'm hoping it's NOT the cranks/BB interface. If it is, I'll never buy a bike with a PF BB again.

Again, I know that's a little "OCD", but I like a quiet bike and now I see that Intense actually IS going to threaded BB's too (like SC). Which kinda bums me out more!

Thoughts, experiences?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
So a few things to consider. What do you weigh? A heavier rider may tend to cause creaks and moans a light rider will not experience. Secondly, it may not be the BB. Spokes can creak. Seat post. Bars. Chainring. Slightly loose cassette. Frame pivots. Check these too as Carbon bits need to be properly torqued otherwise they may make creaking or ticking sounds. When you climb steep stuff we tend to experience this more often as the load on various parts increases. But yes BB is possible too. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
I tracked a nasty creak down to rear shock hardware. I had removed/installed shock several times while trying different volume spacers, guess i shoulda greased the threaded one of those times.....

T

·
Registered
202 Posts
Like the previous post suggested, I would check the shock mounting bolts. Don't just check the torque though. Unscrew them, pull them out, give a quick wipe and reinstall and re-torque. Also check the seatpost...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
brand new mine creaked (almost a loud pop/crack! sound) when I got on the pedals hard, was at the rear shock mount were it meets the link... was super tight so I worked it around a bit and used a tiny bit of grease dead silent now except for a little chain slap and the cables bouncing around in the frame. (cables are an easy fix just waiting till they need replaced)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I will have the dealer check all those things out; unless I sell it first.
I weigh 162 right now, which is out of shape weight, but not the heavy you're referring to I don't think!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. The dealer just quick over phone had mentioned greasing the front shock link. I did that. I will check the rear as well. Thank You.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I weight 210 and on my Carbine 29 with PF BB, I only started getting the creaking sound at the beginning of this year. The creak only happened when I would put power down at the pedals. All I did was carefully punch out the cups, greased the surfaces with some Park Tool carbon paste (grease that feels gritty) and then pressed them back in. No issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would also check the lower link axel and bolts. sometime the axles come slightly loose, and dirt gets in there causing creek.

Check out this video, by Intense.

Not sure what crank + ring system you are using. But if your chainring has chainring bolts, check them. If they are already tight, loosen them and retighten them

Interesting. The dealer just quick over phone had mentioned greasing the front shock link. I did that. I will check the rear as well. Thank You.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also check your shock mounting bolts. Loosen and then retorque with a torque wrench!
I had creaking on mine as well and narrowed it down to the rear axel being too tight after I had changed the back tire. I pulled it and applied grease and adjusted the torque and that was the fix for me. Hope its that simple for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had creaking on mine as well and narrowed it down to the rear axel being too tight after I had changed the back tire. I pulled it and applied grease and adjusted the torque and that was the fix for me. Hope its that simple for you. Good luck.
Genius, the local bike shop did my tires tubeless so maybe they slightly over did it. Bassically check every moving part if the bike creeks

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.