Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are brand loyal when selecting your biking stuff?

I am not brand loyal. I buy the best stuff for what I need (or want as the case may be) and I don't particularly care who manufactured it. Of course it matters that the product is well engineered, made with high quality materials, by a company known for making good equipment (because of their usage of high quality materials, engineering, and warranty against defects), but beyond that, it doesn't much matter.

I find it interesting that there are so many people who eschew products based primarily on who made it (or where it was made).

Help me understand your reasonings behind brand exclusivity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm relatively brand loyal when it comes to frames (right sizing, geo and quality for me) and brakes. The rest is largely negotiable though I often find the same brands rising unintentionally to the top

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If I've used a brand and it has worked well in the past, I will definitely put it near the top of the list next time I'm shopping, for sure. Also, there are some small things about certain brands that just seem to set them apart, to the point I won't really even look at anything else. This might not apply to bike stuff as much as other outdoor stuff for me, however.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I do gravitate towards certain brands. Usually for their quality, fit, and customer service rep. If I'm satisfied with the product and service, then I will probably give them first shot next time, unless there is something better suited for my needs out there.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but I do gravitate towards certain brands. Usually for their quality, fit, and customer service rep. If I'm satisfied with the product and service, then I will probably give them first shot next time, unless there is something better suited for my needs out there.
Pretty much the same. One caveat that I add is I attempt to support Locally made items where applicable or US Made (e.g. Guerrilla Gravity). This has a major play in what I can do as supporting local job with local materials (again where applicable) helps our local economies. Now I realize that a lot of what we get is made overseas so supporting the local shop/brand has somewhat of a diminishing effect but still attempt from there.

What I do profess to is that I will avoid certain brands like the plague should I receive shoddy/bad customer service. Perfect example for me, again my experience, is FOX. Had more than a couple "bro/bruh" experiences with their staff and customer service in the past where now I will not even support them through something as simple a gloves purchase. Bridge has been burnt and no matter how good the product I will not purchase ANY of their brands. Outside of that, first paragraph applies.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I was pretty loyal to Sierra Nevada Brew Co. but since giving up alcohol I've cut off all my ties. I buy a product because it suits my needs

·
Registered
966 Posts
I am fairly brand loyal when it comes to quality products that haven't let me down, but not to the point of total exclusivity.

Here are some of the products/companies that I've had some measure of loyalty to over the last 30 years:
- Chris King Headsets - expensive but last forever
- Chris King Hubs - really expensive but last forever (if you can afford them)
- Hope Hubs - have done me well when the budget wasn't there for Kings.
- Sidi shoes - Got my first pair in 94, and only on my 3rd pair now
- Thompson seat posts - never let me down in my rigid post days.
- Shimano SPD pedals - work well and last a long time.
- Shimano XT components - have been the best bang for the buck with decent performance that I keep coming back to since my first XT equipped bike in 1990.

For me it's as simple as going back to stuff that just works.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,301 Posts
Sidi shoes. About 10 years on my current road shoes, 15+ on MTB shoes. Why would I buy anything else?
I guess I am brand loyal. I've been running SIDI shoes for 19 plus years. Time ATAC pedals and Pearl Izumi Jerseys shorts and gloves tend to be my my go to choice.

·
No known cure
5,590 Posts
It'd be easier to post brands I avoid, but I'll give credit where it's due.

Magura. Excellent product and support. The only hydro brake I've ran sine 1995.
Shimano XT. Install and forget.
Hope Hubs. They put up with abuse and parts easily swap out for different applications.
WTB saddles. They fit me.

Honorable mention. Marzocchi coil forks. RIP.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've never had any seatpost let me down. Not even the cheapest ones.
Yeah, well, I've got a 36.5" inseam, which means that even on an XL frame I have to run shite load of post showing which puts a ton of load on the post. I've bent a few aluminum posts in my day, and broken a carbon post. YMMV.

·
well mannered lout
3,258 Posts
I like Salsa's seat post binders, Jagwire Pro cable sets, and tires from Continental or Maxxis. I'd buy another camelback pack, but my old HAWG is just never going to quit on me, so that's that.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I guess I can be brand loyal but it depends on the situation.

Shoes, I am brand anti loyal. I will never buy anything Nike. Overpriced garbage.

Bikes, my brand loyalty is interesting. I have broken every single frame I have ever purchased. while you would think this would make me shy away from that company, they have stood behind every single one of them even 20 years later. So, how can I not be pleased with a company that does stand by its products even though it has failed on me. I have gotten two different brands now, and one of those failed on me as well. So, I'm very pleased Trek has proven itself in the long run.

Motorcycles, I was fiercely brand loyal. Ridden every bike out there, and I was a hardcore orange koolaid drinker since 2001. (KTM) Rode a Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, and a Suzuki. KTM had me. Street bikes, ONLY a Honda fit me and felt right to me. So. I was loyal to a Honda.

So yeah, i can be brand loyal, so long as they dont screw me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.