Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brands to do you see as being fundamentally similar, either by building similarly intentioned bikes or by attracting similar customer bases?

Obviously most brands offer bikes that are differently intentioned, but they often either share some character or the brand is really defined by their focus on a particular segment.

For instance, I associate Knolly, Transition, and Guerrilla Gravity. Iin my mind they're focused on building tough, descent focused bikes and with prime appeal to biker bros (in the best way possible, I like all three brands).

Similarly I associate Ibis and Pivot as light, very good pedaling bikes that appeal to a more affluent demographic with less focus on getting rad and more on covering a decent distance.

Obviously there are specific counterexamples, but that's the type of thing I mean.

So, what are your brand clusters?

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
I want to know more about this new MATH

I'm a friggin rocket scientist and can capture lighting in a bottle but cannot figure this out

Keep in mind that there can be clearance issues for some of those....you'll need to go boost spacing.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
What brands to do you see as being fundamentally similar, either by building similarly intentioned bikes or by attracting similar customer bases?

Obviously most brands offer bikes that are differently intentioned, but they often either share some character or the brand is really defined by their focus on a particular segment.

For instance, I associate Knolly, Transition, and Guerrilla Gravity. Iin my mind they're focused on building tough, descent focused bikes and with prime appeal to biker bros (in the best way possible, I like all three brands).

Similarly I associate Ibis and Pivot as light, very good pedaling bikes that appeal to a more affluent demographic with less focus on getting rad and more on covering a decent distance.

Obviously there are specific counterexamples, but that's the type of thing I mean.

So, what are your brand clusters?
Stereotypes like this just aren't useful. For instance, if I were to go shopping based on your stereotypes I'd dismiss Pivot despite their Firebird being an excellent candidate for the riding I do. I get that your mind forms these associations, but you should be trying to replace them with actual accurate representations of the brands rather than reinforcing them.

Damn that sounded like a Sesame Street segment. :skep:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.