Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New pads will probably go a long way. Careful set up of your cantis will get a lot more power out of them. There is a feisty debate here about the power difference between V and cantis with some agreement that cantis can have more power but more attention needs to be paid to set up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello.
I've started riding this bike more and more. I fit some high volume continentals to soften things up in some of our north-eastern rock gardens. Now the only "shortcoming" I'd like to address is the brakes. It has LX cantilevers, which felt fine the last time I had them on a bicycle, but that was before electricity. I'd like to improve the braking, I feel that putting modern V-brakes on the bike would be throwing in the towel. I have a set of old WTB brakes on my cross bike but come to think of it, they don't offer much more stopping power than the Fat's brakes. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I start looking at Pauls? If so, which ones? I'd like something that will allow me to keep running nice high volume tires, but also want to get substantially better stopping power. Is it a pipe dream?

·
Registered
336 Posts
chefmiguel said:
If your WTB canti's aren't broken use those! Those brakes offered a ton of power. The 3 most important thing about cantis? Setup, setup and setup. Then get Pauls Neo-Retros for the cross bike!
Thanks folks. I'll re-visit the WTB's and their set-up. In the short term, are Kool Stop pads still around? Are they still considered a good replacement for OEM?

Neo Retros...

·
Visitor
781 Posts
al415 said:
Thanks folks. I'll re-visit the WTB's and their set-up. In the short term, are Kool Stop pads still around? Are they still considered a good replacement for OEM?

Neo Retros...
eBay. I use them (grey). Different colors are for different things. I'm partial to Scott/Matthauser, though. I do have some WTB pads, but they suck. :p

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
yeah, you should be able to get cantis to work just about as well as V's. I don't think you could argue that they could be set up to work better than V's though (all things equal). V brakes have an advantage of really nice efficiency in regards to the cable pull. You can get the canti's real close though when set up well.

Both types of brakes have a similar range of mechanical leverage. It comes down to set up and V brakes are a no brainer for the most part.

·
Registered
336 Posts
hairstream said:
eBay. I use them (grey). Different colors are for different things. I'm partial to Scott/Matthauser, though. I do have some WTB pads, but they suck. :p
Matthauser, that's a name I have not heard in a while! I remember reading an interview with Hans Rey in which he described his brake set up. He had one regular pad and one mutant pad from the future per rim. He also rubbed a tar-like substance on one side of each rim (if I recall). Probably overkill for my needs, but interesting.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
al415 said:
Matthauser, that's a name I have not heard in a while! I remember reading an interview with Hans Rey in which he described his brake set up. He had one regular pad and one mutant pad from the future per rim. He also rubbed a tar-like substance on one side of each rim (if I recall). Probably overkill for my needs, but interesting.
I used to take a sharp utility knife and cut 45 degree grooves into the rims' sidewalls for DH. Seemed to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.