Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commuter bike is an older road bike with caniti brakes. I got new pads, but the wheels are chromed and those suckers don't stop in the rain. Any tricks I could try to get the rims to grip better in the wet?
Sandpaper, file, tar and go all out trials style?
Thanks for any suggestions. The pads are Aztecs by the way. Nothing incredible, but the price was right and they work well with the wheels when dry.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I used to ride a Haro Blammo freestyle bike. It was ALL chrome with red pedals (the best looking bike I ever had - should never have sold it). It definately took some attention to keep the brakes working. From what I remember, the first step was to keep the rims really clean (rubbing alcohol did that trick), I also sprayed lots of lube into the brake cables, and lightly sanded the pads.

Sometime the brakes would make a terrible squeeling sound after cleaning the rims but there wasn't much you could do. I rarely rode it in the rain though so you might have your work cut out for you.

·
Respect Your Trails
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I sanded the pads lightly, and do keep the wheels clean. When dry, they work great.

I had an old Haro 20" that had the blade spokes. I wish I would have kept that thing to make a chopper style ride with spare parts.... especially those black blade wheels.

Anyone else have any ideas?

dir-T said:
I used to ride a Haro Blammo freestyle bike. It was ALL chrome with red pedals (the best looking bike I ever had - should never have sold it). It definately took some attention to keep the brakes working. From what I remember, the first step was to keep the rims really clean (rubbing alcohol did that trick), I also sprayed lots of lube into the brake cables, and lightly sanded the pads.

Sometime the brakes would make a terrible squeeling sound after cleaning the rims but there wasn't much you could do. I rarely rode it in the rain though so you might have your work cut out for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts