Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know which one is stronger in power? I've got some new XT's on the way, just curious if they're gonna be stronger than my old Hayes. Anyone have any experience? If not I'll let ya know when I found out and get to test.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It’s the Stroker’s, they’re a tiny bit more powerful but the power is more upfront than the XT’s so you’ll definitely feel the difference. With 160mm rotors it’s a lot easier to stop with less effort than on the XT’s. Reviews tend to agree with that, I think What Mountain Bike gave the XT’s an 8 for power and the Stroker’s a 9...

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I've got 2 pair (that's 4 levers and 4 calipers) of Hayes Stroker Trail and I can tell you they're the strongest brakes I have owned. But... bleeding Hayes brakes is a lesson in patience and futility. They have got to have the most retarded bleeding system known to man. Why can't they make them as easy as Avid? As long as you don't need to bleed them, they're great.

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno man, I had major reliability issues with my Stroker's, which is why I'm going to the XT's. I was constantly having to take them apart and overhaul the levers because the piston was getting stuck. It got stuck bad enough on 2 seperate occasions that the stupid little retaining clip actually popped out when I finally got it to break free. The bleeding was always very easy for me, but having to tear into the lever once every 3 rides got old in a hurry. I'm just hoping the XT's are more reliable. I can upgrade the hose and go up in rotor size to fix power issues I think. Hayes customer service is awesome, but to me it has to be to make up for that brakes deficiency in reliability. They sent me pads, springs, the special piston grease, all of it, and still, the stupid thing wouldn't work properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.