Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first estimate on a built El Capitian today. Estimate came from a shop recommended on here. Todd the owner, asked if I preferred mechanical or hydraulic brakes. Avid bb7's I have on one of my bikes and they've been great so far, more than enough on the trails around here in north Texas. Why go with juicy's is the question? $200 more. Pro's? Con's? All opinions appreciated.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,021 Posts
I've never used mechs. I weigh too much and 29ers rock on the downhills. I have the last gen Shimanos on my El Cap and yesterday I was just thinking how nice they are. Left over brakes might be available.

Why are you going with a El Cap over a El Rey? I ask because the El Cap is sort of a tough trail frame and the El Rey being lighter attracts lighter riders or those who don't tend to break things. A lot of riders love the Avids for good reason.

I want supreme power consistently, in all conditions, with minimal maintenance, The current hydros are pretty much set and forget them now. 8in rotor in the front for me. A local jogger was glad I had it.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I liked my BB7s. They are trouble free but don't really come close to the feel and power of the hydros. I had some new Juicy 5s for this last build but went with the Formula K-18 instead and decided to sell the Juicys when I get the motivation to list them. I would not use the mechs again- the feel and modulation itself is worth it. I hear the Juicys and XTRs are quite popular as well. Even though the hydros are higher maintenance, I'd never go back to the grinding feel of mechs.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
I've had 3 sets of Juicys (two 7s and a set of 5s) and 1 set of BB7s. I still have the BB7s and a set of the J7s. I'll take my Formula K-24s over them any day. The Juicys work fine, but they are finicky and noisy as hell.

Hydro>Mechanical.

YMMV,
D.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thumbsup:
DrDon said:
I've never used mechs. I weigh too much and 29ers rock on the downhills. I have the last gen Shimanos on my El Cap and yesterday I was just thinking how nice they are. Left over brakes might be available.

Why are you going with a El Cap over a El Rey? I ask because the El Cap is sort of a tough trail frame and the El Rey being lighter attracts lighter riders or those who don't tend to break things. A lot of riders love the Avids for good reason.

I want supreme power consistently, in all conditions, with minimal maintenance, The current hydros are pretty much set and forget them now. 8in rotor in the front for me. A local jogger was glad I had it.
DrDon I want the el cap over the El Ray because I'm 6'5" and weigh 240 without gear which is also why I'm thinking hydros are the way to go. I guess I'll start looking at the different reviews and brands on the net

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Forget Hopes there is none! there is no magic Formula just go straight to the top and get Louise shes hawt and has a 5year gaurentee and the dosen't squeal be yot ch or bleed all over the place and she gots loads of power in those slim sexy limbs.

No question Maggie 08s kill it, plus she comes as a red or dark haired angel, what more could you want, unless ya married then ya wife might get jealous:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.