Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

my parents agreed to get me some new parts to make my P.2 ride a little better. they gave me a budget of 200 bucks and I want to use al little mones as possible.

my P.2 is completly stock. the tire in the back is completly bald, ecept for the side nobs. and my brake rub right now is so bad that if you spin the rear wheel it doesnt even complete one rotation. But you can also pick up a Marzocchi DJ III for cheap too, but the EXR on my P.2 is working so it would hold up to more abuse till I get my new toy.

so I was looking around www.jensonusa.com and I found that I could buy a rotor and pads for my MX2 mechanicals....that would equal 39 dollars (for rear only) but they also have an "OE" Mx2 complete brake system, comes with caliper, pads and a 8" rotor, I would have to get an adapter for the back too ...that is 7 bucks. so total comes to 41 dollars.

should I run a 6" in the back, or an 8" ? consider i'm going to also have my 8" up front too and my riding would be enduro/trail

so, brakes + a tire ..or fork ?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Hi all

my parents agreed to get me some new parts to make my P.2 ride a little better. they gave me a budget of 200 bucks and I want to use al little mones as possible.

my P.2 is completly stock. the tire in the back is completly bald, ecept for the side nobs. and my brake rub right now is so bad that if you spin the rear wheel it doesnt even complete one rotation. But you can also pick up a Marzocchi DJ III for cheap too, but the EXR on my P.2 is working so it would hold up to more abuse till I get my new toy.

so I was looking around www.jensonusa.com and I found that I could buy a rotor and pads for my MX2 mechanicals....that would equal 39 dollars (for rear only) but they also have an "OE" Mx2 complete brake system, comes with caliper, pads and a 8" rotor, I would have to get an adapter for the back too ...that is 7 bucks. so total comes to 41 dollars.

should I run a 6" in the back, or an 8" ? consider i'm going to also have my 8" up front too and my riding would be enduro/trail

get a new rear wheel, brakes and tires... u'll feel the diference more than with just a new fork.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Hi all

Ebay. Half decent fork (along the lines of a DJ) will run you under 150. Hydraulic brake setup will run you about 50. New tires around 20ish depending on the tire.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
bend your rotor strait...ask TNC they have really took some dismal rotors and got those strait

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
bend your rotor strait...ask TNC they have really took some dismal rotors and got those strait
I'm not quite sure its the problem. I swapped a brand new rotor last night and it rubbed worse ! I think there is something wrong with the capilar. should I just get a whole new set ? in the 8" ... 6" ?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
your brakes probably only need to be bled and recalibrated.

what model are you running?

I second the notion for a new rear wheel and tire. These parts can be easily swapped to your new rig when you get it down the line.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
HE'S running Mechanicals mate...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
standard235 said:
HE'S running Mechanicals mate...
I was about to say that.
Read a bit closer.

A lot of rotors come pre-warped out of the box. A lot of the bikes we build require us to true the rotors first. It also sounds like poor adjustment.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I was about to say that.
Read a bit closer.

A lot of rotors come pre-warped out of the box. A lot of the bikes we build require us to true the rotors first. It also sounds like poor adjustment.
ok so sue me, Point being... it's probably an issue with adjustment, not the brakes themselves.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Try adjusting the pad (MX2 brake pads only adjustable on caliper side facing wheel) in the caliper as far to the outside as possible. Hopefully that should take care of your rubbing problem. If not, also adjust the adapter that holds the caliper to the frame until the rotor doesn't rub. If that solves your brake problem spend the money on a new fork. Marzocchi DJ forks are great, but I have seen and heard horror stories of people snapping EXR's. The EXR is a cross country fork, not really made for jumping. Hope that helps.

J

·
0 Posts
You know that MX2s are extra adjustable... Mine are sweet...
No rub, great power for what they are, and decent modulation heres what you need to do

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
get a fvcking tune up on your bike then how ever much money u have left get some thing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
trek2kona said:
get a fvcking tune up on your bike then how ever much money u have left get some thing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
that actualy sounds like a good idea, just tell the shop to put what is needed on it but not too cruddy parts, then get as much small nifty things as u can like grips, bar ends, air caps, brake pads, tires, cables, and it will give ur bike alot better feel to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts