Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had the time last night to install the new cables on the used 440k I got for the little guy last fall and after installing them and taking the brakes off and lubing and reinstalling they still aren't as smooth as I'd like. What I think it comes down to is basically the stock tektro brakes and levers are shitz. I'm looking at the Avid Single Digit 7's and I can get them pretty cheaply on-line, but then I figured with all the conversions to disc someone might have some good brakes and levers laying around. So if anyone has these or any other decent set of v-brakes laying around and wants to do some house cleaning please let me know and send a cost to me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dogonfr said:
Check with Ibex their may be some of the Road group sitting around. :thumbsup:

Am I missing something here :confused: , road bikes have v-brakes? I started looking at ebay there are a lot of avid v-brakes on there.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
v-brakes

I understand the BB7's ibex may have laying around but what his bike is set up for is v-brakes. He has a 2005 440k which has v-brakes not disc, so currently there are no disc hubs on the bike otherwise I would just make the switch to disc. Unless of course someone has a 24" disc wheelset laying around they're not using?

There's a lot of upgrading we can do on this bike boy are he and I going to have fun the next 3-4 years working on it.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Dang work interfering with my forum time, need to have a talk with the boss about this. :ihih:

Ya I was assuming disc brakes baraant so sorry. MT has a good point, some colleges collect the abandoned bikes and sell them off, LBS may have some kicking around because a customer wanted a up-grade, garage sale, craigslist.com :thumbsup:

Wait a minute let me check with my bro, i'll get back to ya tomorrow. I have a Deore LX LTD gold and a set of levers with shifters. :D

Attachments

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
I'll trade you some big black CDs for them there brakes for little barrant :yesnod:

I'll even trow in some yoko...
oh no
Hummm your talkin english here not used to that.... cleaning out the barn?? :cool:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
I can't find a home for my old LPs and I know you would use them so if it will help free up your resources for little barraant we both win.
The shipping would kill ya. :eekster:

MiniTrail said:
If you can get the goods without then that's OK too.
I'll just save them for your 60th birthday next year.
gotcha
Exsqueeze me but that aint fer another 36 years. :yikes:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MiniTrail said:
shipping isn't that bad, yoko, that's b a d

I mixed a couple of thoughts into one on this and I'm sorry. If you can use the tunes cool, if you can use the tunes as leverage to get the brakes that's real cool.
Lets see if baraant is interested first. :thumbsup:

Group hug bro :band: You know I love the sweet sound of vinyl. :D

·
Expert novice
72 Posts
I recently swapped avid SD-5 on my son's 20" bike for the stocker which i think were tektro. I like the avid brake compound. It was also a bigger contact patch. Small investment for a nice gain.

Or better yet, go get some avid pads from your LBS. Thats what I had done on the rears and prompted me to just swap the entire package.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dog, MT thanks for the thought. I thought about giving him dual control right away but he's only 8 and I'm not sure if his hands are big enough to work them correctly. I got my eye on few avid sets on ebay this weekend so I'll see how that turns out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got brakes

Well I solved the brake problem, although I know I spent too much for these. That's what happens when you play on ebay late at night after a few drink and bid on something you really think you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270385500528&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I know.......................... I could have gotten a brand new set of 7's with 5 levers (the 5 levers because he will bend and brake a few sets of levers) for cheaper than this. Oh well :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

These are a little old but at least the quality is good and I should be able to tune them into like new condition.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
baraant said:
Well I solved the brake problem, although I know I spent too much for these. That's what happens when you play on ebay late at night after a few drink and bid on something you really think you need.

These are a little old but at least the quality is good and I should be able to tune them into like new condition.
From the description on ebay, you did good if all the fasners are titanium as stated. AVID

Congratz to Lil' baraant

~Jake

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I really need to get the camera out and take some pictures of him with his new bike, he loves it and rides it hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts