Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding about 10-15 miles a ride and every other ride by the end I'm squeezing the front lever to my fingers (brake 1 fingered) and almost no stopping power and have to rely on the back brake to stop. Both brakes have been sent to Tektro for warranty repair through the lbs, but the problem persists. Is it time to just give up and buy a Shimano set? I'm leaning super heavily that way.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Shimano SLX or XT, just amazing value, not bling but they just plain work.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I've been riding about 10-15 miles a ride and every other ride by the end I'm squeezing the front lever to my fingers (brake 1 fingered) and almost no stopping power and have to rely on the back brake to stop. Both brakes have been sent to Tektro for warranty repair through the lbs, but the problem persists. Is it time to just give up and buy a Shimano set? I'm leaning super heavily that way.
Sounds like a bad seal... sucking in air. Either that, or they weren't filled correctly.

Yeah, Shimano brakes are the shiz. The only issue with them is that they don't sell replacement parts. So, if a seal goes bad, you toss the bastid in the trash. Ugh, I hate disposable stuff. With Hope brakes, you can buy new seals and slave pistons for cheap. Even the special cap tool is cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a bad seal... sucking in air. Either that, or they weren't filled correctly.

Yeah, Shimano brakes are the shiz. The only issue with them is that they don't sell replacement parts. So, if a seal goes bad, you toss the bastid in the trash. Ugh, I hate disposable stuff. With Hope brakes, you can buy new seals and slave pistons for cheap. Even the special cap tool is cheap.
who knows, they've been serviced and (don't yell at me for this but...) i just adjusted the lever so that it hits the master cylinder earlier (and yes i know i could have over-simplified it a lil haha)

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Magically Delicious
9,869 Posts
A pair of XT's for $160 shipped. You have to flip levers but it is a screaming deal.
I have to assume that you're referring to the front brake on the right and the rear brake on the left? If so, you can't just 'flip the levers', you have to do a brake line swap. You would most likely want to shorten them anyway, they come pretty long. It's straight forward.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I missed that the discount code ended but SLX brakes for $123 shipped is still a deal. Yeah, should have used the term lever swap, not flipping them. There is an active thread for shortening hoses and it looks doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to assume that you're referring to the front brake on the right and the rear brake on the left? If so, you can't just 'flip the levers', you have to do a brake line swap. You would most likely want to shorten them anyway, they come pretty long. It's straight forward.
Why would you have to flip them at all? Isn't rear always on the right and left on the front?

·
Magically Delicious
9,869 Posts
Why would you have to flip them at all? Isn't rear always on the right and left on the front?
Nope, they're not. In Europe, you see frequently see the front brake on the right. Shimano's are coded to differenciate this. On these forums, you will sometimes see where someone has made a brake purchase from Europe and they arrive with RH Front and LH rear.

I spent so many years riding motorcycles, that I had difficulty getting used to having the front brake on the left and now all my bikes are front on the right. I know of two others that have swapped theirs too.

On the Shimano's (SLX, XT and XTR) you can't just flip the levers. You have to remove and swap the brake lines coming off of the master cylinders.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Pricepoint has a good deal on Shimano xt brakes. Here is the link Shimano Deore XT M785-B Disc Brake | Shimano | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
This is an average deal. They MSRP for $139.
Here is a good deal. Shimano XT M785 Pre-Bled Disc Brake Front

I just put these on both my bikes and love them. I've ordered through Art's and they are legit. But if you prefer someone like Jenson? They will price match.

EDIT: Looking through me email I noticed the 12 hour Pricepoint deal...yes, a no-brainer at 99 bucks for sure but the Art's price has been at $109 for some time. In fact it was $104 for a while for the M785-b which I picked up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you wanna put money into the brakes, get a new hose and fittings, bleed and re bleed. Honestly I recommend getting a set of shimanos. Pretty trouble free and far superior to tektros in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts