Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Avid juicy 5

Votes: 2 3.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you disc folks out there...I have experience with hayes mags, nines and a SICK set of BB7s (Full metal Jacket etc...)

Looking for a set of brakes for the new 29er...BB7s, Avid Juicy Sevens, Hayes El Camino's. Likely run at least 185mm rotors (I'm 215#s)

What are you guys running (vote) and do you dig them...what else have you run.

Thanks,

RJ

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
BB7's simply great.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I like Avid Juicy 7's, it took me a while to get them sorted out, but now I have them by the short and curlies, they work very well.

The BB7's are great too.

R.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Sorry.
None of the above for me but seeing as though you only want advice between these 4 I would say the BB7's. However, I would not bother with the Full Metal Jacket etc. I found that full length cheap cable outer worked every bit as well without all the expense of the FMJ. Others will argue but I found that they were fantastic if you filled the outer with synthetic spray lube.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TR said:
Sorry.
None of the above for me but seeing as though you only want advice between these 4 I would say the BB7's. However, I would not bother with the Full Metal Jacket etc. I found that full length cheap cable outer worked every bit as well without all the expense of the FMJ. Others will argue but I found that they were fantastic if you filled the outer with synthetic spray lube.
What would you suggest?

I ran the BB7s with the FMJ and was astounded by the feel. Loved them...Liked my Nines as well, but mostly because of the 203mm rotors LOL.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
tozovr said:
What would you suggest?

I ran the BB7s with the FMJ and was astounded by the feel. Loved them...Liked my Nines as well, but mostly because of the 203mm rotors LOL.
As I said, I just used cheap cables that I bought from my LBS and filled the outers with synthetic spray lube.
I could feel no difference at all between those and my previous expensive FMJ and flack jacket outer.

Hated the 9's I had as they squealed, stuttered, warbled and did all the other stuff that 9's have a reputation for.

My absolute favourite brakes were my old Magura Marta's which I foolishly sold along with my Santa Cruz Superlight followed very closely by the Formula Oro's that I currently have. I like the formula's enough to be putting a pair on my new bike.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TR said:
As I said, I just used cheap cables that I bought from my LBS and filled the outers with synthetic spray lube.
I could feel no difference at all between those and my previous expensive FMJ and flack jacket outer.

Hated the 9's I had as they squealed, stuttered, warbled and did all the other stuff that 9's have a reputation for.

My absolute favourite brakes were my old Magura Marta's which I foolishly sold along with my Santa Cruz Superlight followed very closely by the Formula Oro's that I currently have. I like the formula's enough to be putting a pair on my new bike.
Bummer, my nines were flawless on a 34# all mountain full susser....they're just a lil on the heavy side for me and the new SS.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
What about Shimano?

My Saints have the same excellent lever feel of the Juicy's...except they are silent (unlike the Juicy's).

Only one set of Juicy's has had a fade issue.

That said...I'll be trying out the Juicy Ultimate's when I buy brakes again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
With choice between the Juicy 5's, Magura Louise, XT M765, I ended up going for the F&R XT deal from Chain Reaction. My only prior experience is with Hayes Soles.

Basis of my choice was ease of maintenance (bleeding etc) and cost of replacement pads. Not to mention the XT's are very similar to the Saints. Magura's are said to be a bit harder to bleed and cost of parts in Aus would have been dear. Juicies - well negative reviews are always off putting (however one has to consider how dominant they are on the market) and aside from that cost of bleed kits is dearer than Shimanos.

From your specified list I'd probably choose the Juicy 5's or 7's. Aside from that I was advised that Maguras & Shimano brakes are good.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
BB7s...

Funny you should ask. Just this weekend I decided to swap out my BB7s for a set of Hayes Mag Pluses that I had laying around from a prior bike. They've always been pretty easy to set up and have worked well from day one. The Avids have been working great but I needed to swap for reasons I won't go into. It took me at least a solid hour of fiddling with those damn things Hayes before they stopped rubbing. All the memories of what a PITA hydraulics were came crashing back. I must have forgot after a year of sticking with the Mechs. So, if I were buying a new set of disc brakes, it would definitely be Avid Mechs.

As a side note I'm running them with Avid Ultimate levers. If set up with correctly with nice housing I find they feel better than most hydraulics. Personally I love Avid Flak Jacket cable housing. Not too expensive, works very well, and looks very cool. People complain about the weight of the Avid and I must admit they are a bit porky. More than once I've thought about giving Paul Word brake levers a try. Those things are wicked light and would get the weight of an Avid Mech set up pretty close to a mid to high level hydraulic set up.

Mike

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
HOPE's

Definitely give the HOPEs a look, they are fabulous brakes to say the least. I love my Mono Mini's, had them now about 3/4 year and put on about 2600+ miles and they are just dreamy - especially after the re-bleed/flush out and fluid change last week.The new 2007 ones look so schweet.

All the brakes you listed are only single piston brakes i.e. they only push one of the pads onto the brake rotor, which then pushes the rotor onto the other pad, HOPE's are dual piston ( I think that's the right term) so both pads are pushed onto the rotor - less chance IMHO of rotors warping on extended DH's. When rotors get heated up and can get warp by the single piston action, also you constantly need to adjust the pads to make sure that they are close enough to the rotor not to exasebate(sp?) this problem.

tozovr said:
I was looking at the new Hope Minis as well.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
BB7s have been wonderful for me.

I have Formula Ora k18s on another bike... I like them a lot. The levers especially.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I just got some used BB7's. own a set of first generation Oro's, and truly believe the latest ones are the bomb. Hey, it's a full-on Pro DH brake with larger rotors, that says something.
Formula levers do rock, I also have a set of Extreme's that are just too nice to put on a bike almost, although they do shine there, offer perfect control at low weight. Oro's are grabbier, a freind traded me them for my B4Pro+'s for that reason.
BB7's with nice rotors and something like XT(R) levers would ne niiiice. I got SD7 levers, they're pigs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.