Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I ride street and do a little DJ and recently have started going on longer rides, which made me notice that after a while that my pinky and the finger next to it hurts on my right hand as if im stretching them out too much but the pain goes away as soon as i take my index finger off the brake. Do you think a wider bar would make a difference or should i be adjusting my brake lever, especially since this only happens on my right hand?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some ergonomically designed grips, like the aptly named Ergons, may help and be a cheaper solution than a new bar, which may or may not help anyway. They relieve pressure from certain points in your hand & distribute the impact & vibration to less nervy areas. You mentioned getting into longer rides, and just the sustained, constant vibration could lead to tingling & numbness, or the pain you described. A lot of folks I ride with swear by the Ergons. Personally, I don't like them, because I feel like I lose a little control due to not being able to wrap my hand all the way around the bar like I want. But then again, if I had hand or finger pain, I may learn to like them.

It also could be as simple as moving your levers in or out, or up and down. Once again, this is only my preference, but I like to have my levers pointed pretty far downward. That way, I barely have to raise my finger to get to the lever. The lower they are, the less you have to lift your finger. Whereas when they are high, you have to really reach up or roll your wrist back to grab the lever. When setting up my cockpit after maintenance or getting a new part, I aim to position the shifters & levers where I can easily reach them with my fingers while keeping my wrist straight. If I have to roll them forward or back, it isn't adjusted correctly yet. If you like maintaining contact by resting your fingers on the lever rather than only when you are about to brake, I would think having them in a lower position would help.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I'll chime in here...snows on the ground here!

Without more info on your brakes...here goes..

If you can, adjust the reach towards you some. Also try rotating the brake either up or down alittle to make it fit more ergonomically.
If you are running mechanical brakes...get new cables. Bar width could come into play also, but maybe not as much as these other factors!
Really need more info on your setup! :cool:

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Before you start swapping out bars and grips, try this. Sit on the bike in the seated riding position. Rest you hands on the grips as you normally would then rest you finger on the brake levers as normal. You wrist, back of you hand and fingers should make a relatively straight line. If you have to bend your wrists or your fingers are bent downward or upward, adjust your brake levers up or down so that the above straight line is formed. Also check that your braking finger(s) as they rest on the brake lever are pointed naturally straight forward. The outside curl at the end of the lever should be just outboard of the braking finger or fingers if you are multi finger braker. From there slowly pull the levers. As you pull the levers the braking finger(s) should pull straight back, not be pulled either to the outside or inside in relation to the fingers resting on the grips. If they are then you need to move the levers either inboard or outboard on the bar until the braking finger(s) remain stable in relation to the fingers on the bar. Once these adjustments are made, go ride. Take a 5mm allen key along and tweak as necessary for best comfort, etc. If that doesn't work then I would suggest a set of ergonomic grips, as Philius413 suggested, be tried. From there bar width would be my next step.

If none of the above works then it well may be time to re-evaluate your overall bike fit.

I'm basing the above on the limited information that you've given. You don't mention what bike you have, is it a full on DJ bike? How wide are your current bars? What type of brakes, rim, mechanical disc, hydro disc? "Longer rides"?, DJ rides, XC/Trail, AM? I mean if your riding a dedicated DJ bike on longer XC type trail rides, that well could be your problem. The geometry and fit of a dedicated DJer isn't ideal for long XC rides.

So give the above a shot and see what happens.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squash said:
Before you start swapping out bars and grips, try this. Sit on the bike in the seated riding position. Rest you hands on the grips as you normally would then rest you finger on the brake levers as normal. You wrist, back of you hand and fingers should make a relatively straight line. If you have to bend your wrists or your fingers are bent downward or upward, adjust your brake levers up or down so that the above straight line is formed. Also check that your braking finger(s) as they rest on the brake lever are pointed naturally straight forward. The outside curl at the end of the lever should be just outboard of the braking finger or fingers if you are multi finger braker. From there slowly pull the levers. As you pull the levers the braking finger(s) should pull straight back, not be pulled either to the outside or inside in relation to the fingers resting on the grips. If they are then you need to move the levers either inboard or outboard on the bar until the braking finger(s) remain stable in relation to the fingers on the bar. Once these adjustments are made, go ride. Take a 5mm allen key along and tweak as necessary for best comfort, etc. If that doesn't work then I would suggest a set of ergonomic grips, as Philius413 suggested, be tried. From there bar width would be my next step.

If none of the above works then it well may be time to re-evaluate your overall bike fit.

I'm basing the above on the limited information that you've given. You don't mention what bike you have, is it a full on DJ bike? How wide are your current bars? What type of brakes, rim, mechanical disc, hydro disc? "Longer rides"?, DJ rides, XC/Trail, AM? I mean if your riding a dedicated DJ bike on longer XC type trail rides, that well could be your problem. The geometry and fit of a dedicated DJer isn't ideal for long XC rides.

So give the above a shot and see what happens.

Good Dirt
Hey really sorry for the limited information guys, I've got a scott voltage 15 2010 which a DJ/street type bike so don't worry the geometry is fine for what im doing haha.....as for the rest of the stuff
Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp 160 mm (hydraulic disc brakes)
Brake levers: Tektro Auriga Comp
Handlebar: 640mm wide with 30mm uprise

but thats all a bit useless now because i'd like to thank you very much for your in depth post on lever positioning and its lucky that this was posted right before i went to ride, because i put your advice to use! During my ride I had to shift my levers a bit outboard and shift the angle of the levers around a bit to get that straight line, and my hands feel much better now! didn't even realize how awkwardly positioned my hands until the problem was fixed. Well thanks for the help Philius413, blcman and Squash!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
hazdxb said:
true that... seriously, if anyone else sees this thread, play around with your brakes a little bit, it can make a HUGE difference.
+1

Don't be afraid to adjust/experiment with bike set-ups. It's FUN!!!:) ;) :p :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.