Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the story, i wiped out a few days ago and managed 2 bend my bars, crushed some bearings in my front wheel and bent my front skewer. so whist iv been waiting for new parts ive been riding my 20"er, which is brakeless. i have found that riding without brakes has given me more confidence and balls to improve my riding and technique.

i am now thinking of running brakeless on my 26"er. good idea?

second of all has anyone here ever ridden brakeless? and can you manual brakeless? i can for a few feet but nothing special. any tips?

finally, is it possible, is there a way to abubaca and fufanu brakeless? im thinking not

cheers
Sam

·
Registered
402 Posts
OK.... so Edwin DelaRosa rides brakeless and it's cool on a bmx, but I really think it is a different thing on a mtb, it is harder to foot jam to brake and things. I just would say it's a bad idea.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
nice to get back to the 20" roots no doubt!

and, I think it should be a prerequisite for everybody to watch bmx videos. just watch them, it is def. possible to manual, and both abubaca and fufanu brakeless! edwin is all I gotta say! I'm not saying I can do any of that ****, hell no, I need at least a rear brake, but look at Steven Hamilton. all those nose manuals with no front brakes, holy smokes he is skilled.

it's your style, your choice. Seems to be 10 times more popular in Japan and Europe to ride brakeless though. a LOT of the 24" bikes you see from euro are brakeless. also saw a custom built FallGuy that was brakeless and cable bossless, looked soo smooth. also rode with these bmx guys in Osaka Japan that could 360 fufan ledges brakeless, etc. I felt like a complete grom having to use my brakes even to manual... :mad: but I'm still keeping it in the rear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BikeSATORI said:
nice to get back to the 20" roots no doubt!

and, I think it should be a prerequisite for everybody to watch bmx videos. just watch them, it is def. possible to manual, and both abubaca and fufanu brakeless! edwin is all I gotta say! I'm not saying I can do any of that ****, hell no, I need at least a rear brake, but look at Steven Hamilton. all those nose manuals with no front brakes, holy smokes he is skilled.

it's your style, your choice. Seems to be 10 times more popular in Japan and Europe to ride brakeless though. a LOT of the 24" bikes you see from euro are brakeless. also saw a custom built FallGuy that was brakeless and cable bossless, looked soo smooth. also rode with these bmx guys in Osaka Japan that could 360 fufan ledges brakeless, etc. I felt like a complete grom having to use my brakes even to manual... :mad: but I'm still keeping it in the rear.
yes its been great to get the bmx out again but cant wait to be back on the mtb!:thumbsup: funnily enough im from the UK so you could class that as europe, but iv never seen any riders riding brakeless in and around birmingham where i live!

i think ill giv it a try though, just to see what it would be like. 1 thing i cant figure is brakeless fufs and abs? would it involve a foot jam?:confused:

cheers
Sam

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I gothca. don't know if you feel the same, but I'd love to tour Europe (working my way through the world) with my bike! couldn't be anything better to do. :cool:

as for brakeless stalls... that just requires balance and feel beyond that which I (and apparantly most) have acquired at this point... :skep: practice on a mound of packed dirt, that way it's more forgiving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I rode brakless on my 24 for a few weeks this spring, and have off and on for the past few years on my 20" bike, and it's sure fun. You can definitely do it on a bike bike, just be aware that it's harder to slow down on a big bike than your BMX bike. For brakeless manuals, the two necessary bits are comitting fully and not being afraid to loop out. And practice. I can manual pretty much as far as I want with or without brakes, but it's infinitely scarier to do 40+ mph manuals in traffic without brakes! Hop to manuals on tall ledges are also tons harder without brakes. Just practice, you'll get the hang of it.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
depends, if you are like me, going like 25-35 miles an hour down a steep hill, riding a manual...its probably not the best idea to not have brakes. I ride my 20" w/o brakes, and sure, it does just fine ...but my BMX is 26 pounds ...my mountain bike is like 35 pounds ...and from doing trailriding and crap, you have to have brakes, especially for DJ. but, I did once ride my P.2 in the park without brakes and I did just fine, I could do just about anything I used to do when I had brakes, abubicas and whatnot can still easily be done. but its different, some guy on a BMX riding in the park, puts his foot down to stop ...that looks fine ...but when a mountain biker does it ? :skep:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers for the advice everyone! im definatly going to give it a go. i can always put brakes back on if i want to!

BikeSATORI: ye i think riding through europe would be great! i might give it a go if i can get some money together when i finish college in a few years!

cheers
Sam

·
Rollin' twenties.
1,635 Posts
no brakes make stall tricks hard, but still possible
and theres a ton of guys doin huge manies w/o brakes
i say take em off, cheaper,lighter,faster,better

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you're only going to ride street, maybe brakeless wouldn't be such a bad idea. If you're gonna hit some dirt, it would be smart to leave atleast a rear brake on.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Way, way back when...

When we were kids my cousin and I used to ride BMX with no brakes. Our method of braking was to step our heel onto the back tyre. We used to get up to crazy speeds through the local woods and if it looked like we couldn't stop the bike in time we'd just jump off. I'm laughing as I write this; those were good times.
Peace,
Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts