Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in a market for a brake upgrade for my XC hardtail. Main objective with the upgrade is to shed some weight. It currently has stock BR500 brakes from Shimano.
How much weight would I loose if changing to Sram TLM?

Is there any better brake set options that I should take into consideration?

I'm light, 58kg and run 160mm front and rear.

Thanks

·
Registered
718 Posts
Second the XTR M9000 recommendation. They are plenty powerful and the lightest non-boutique option (best bang for buck in terms of weight). Also consider switching your rotors out for Ashima Ai2. Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Rim

I get mine from Universal Cycles, they usually run some pretty good discounts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Second the XTR M9000 recommendation. They are plenty powerful and the lightest non-boutique option (best bang for buck in terms of weight). Also consider switching your rotors out for Ashima Ai2. View attachment 1251175

I get mine from Universal Cycles, they usually run some pretty good discounts.
How do the m8000 compare to the m9000 in stopping power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
The M9000 will weep fluid onto the pads if you leave them for a few weeks-this is a known and widespread problem with all shimano brakes, the master cylinder is not anodized and turns the fluid into a black mess every season (which in turn wears out the internals and seals), they have a wandering-bite-point (not as bad as other shimano brakes, but it's definitely there) and the absolute worst part is that Shimano will not sell you seal kits, they don't make them and you can't get them. That means that next season when you want to get your brakes set up and rebuilt, you are out of luck and just hoping they won't fail at some critical moment, which you could have prevented if you could have changed the seals at the beginning of the season. This last point is my biggest beef and Shimano should be ashamed. When brought up to the techs (a few weeks ago at a race), their reply is "you should get a few seasons out of them"...yeah, and then what, they fail at some critical time, right? This "throw away your brakes every few seasons" attitude is BS.

I'm done replacing shimano brakes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
How do the m8000 compare to the m9000 in stopping power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my experience, slightly weaker. Still more than strong enough even with Ashima Ai2 rotors (I'm a hard-charging 170lbs), and much lighter.

No durability issues here, it's been set and forget.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
The M9000 will weep fluid onto the pads if you leave them for a few weeks-this is a known and widespread problem with all shimano brakes, the master cylinder is not anodized and turns the fluid into a black mess every season (which in turn wears out the internals and seals), they have a wandering-bite-point (not as bad as other shimano brakes, but it's definitely there) and the absolute worst part is that Shimano will not sell you seal kits, they don't make them and you can't get them. That means that next season when you want to get your brakes set up and rebuilt, you are out of luck and just hoping they won't fail at some critical moment, which you could have prevented if you could have changed the seals at the beginning of the season. This last point is my biggest beef and Shimano should be ashamed. When brought up to the techs (a few weeks ago at a race), their reply is "you should get a few seasons out of them"...yeah, and then what, they fail at some critical time, right? This "throw away your brakes every few seasons" attitude is BS.

I'm done replacing shimano brakes.
Interesting I have M9020 and have none of those issue- Had them more than a year.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hope Race X2 Evo

Same here, I have both M9020 and M9000 and never had that problem in close to four and three years, respectively.
Got XTR M985 & M9000 mineral oil is the issue with them. flush every year with new to keep them working well (as per Shimano service time).

Also have Hope Race X2 & Race X2 Evo sets, they use Dot 5.1 fluid (same as motor bikes). On a par with XTR, get the Evo E4 (4pot) calipers if you want more bite.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Got XTR M985 & M9000 mineral oil is the issue with them. flush every year with new to keep them working well (as per Shimano service time).

Also have Hope Race X2 & Race X2 Evo sets, they use Dot 5.1 fluid (same as motor bikes). On a par with XTR, get the Evo E4 (4pot) calipers if you want more bite.
Mineral oil is not an issue and you don't have to service them every year. I still have original XT four pots from early 2000 that got handed down to my wife's bike- work fine and never been flushed.

My M9020 XTRs haven't been flushed and my M785 XTs haven't been flushed- all working perfectly fine.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
And my 785 puked on vacation, not fixable, my replacement 7000 got soft just a few days ago and I rebled it. Hoping it lasts longer, bled the front 8000 and both were contaminated pretty well, the main piston and innards are not anodized, so the fluid picks metal up off these parts. I have a hard time believing the fluid in your never serviced brakes is “good”. 9000s are doing “ok”, but definitely have the weeping problem, one set is a warranty replacement for a 987 that puked.

·
Registered
362 Posts
oils cheap, new parts aren't

Mineral oil is not an issue and you don't have to service them every year. I still have original XT four pots from early 2000 that got handed down to my wife's bike- work fine and never been flushed.

My M9020 XTRs haven't been flushed and my M785 XTs haven't been flushed- all working perfectly fine.
The old adage rings true, oils cheap, new parts aren't. Buy the bits you need and do it your self, 10min and all done. Way easier than most think and cheap if done at home. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
And my 785 puked on vacation, not fixable, my replacement 7000 got soft just a few days ago and I rebled it. Hoping it lasts longer, bled the front 8000 and both were contaminated pretty well, the main piston and innards are not anodized, so the fluid picks metal up off these parts. I have a hard time believing the fluid in your never serviced brakes is "good". 9000s are doing "ok", but definitely have the weeping problem, one set is a warranty replacement for a 987 that puked.
Fluid may not be 'good' but brakes are working fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.