Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on a new 2018 Levo for a few rides now and am pretty satisfied with the ride and setup so far for general trail riding. I ride UCSC if you're familiar, and while the Guide RE brakes are sufficient for up top on rolling terrain, they seem a little overwhelmed on the steeps (cobb). Wondering if anyone else has similar experience and suggestions for brakes with more stopping power. It has the 200 rotors front and back and would rather not have to replace those if possible. ???

·
Registered
278 Posts
IMO Shimano XT's blow guide's out of the water. Unfortunately you would have to spend money on some additional hardware, mounts and rotors, and possibly lever mounts depending on how your guides are mounted to the bars vs shifters. But seriously XT's are good. Get metallic pads with fins.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I have a 2018 Levo Carbon Comp with the same brakes, as well as a Trek Remedy running 4 pot XT brakes. The XTs are so much better. Of course, the Butcher tires that come on these bikes suck too, but that's another story.
Personally, I'm contemplating replacing my REs with Saints, which are supposed to be more powerful than the XT brakes. Just know that if you replace the brakes with something that isn't SRAM you'll need to get the bar mounts for your shifter and dropper.

·
Registered
149 Posts
brakes are somewhat personal feel.
personally I was replacing stock brakes with magura mt5 on all my bikes as I am somewhat heavy and like powerful brakes. some folks like XT. aand you can even use shiguras :D -
you need to try different brakes most probably to get a feeling of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've just had my LBS order up a set of TRP e-bike specific brakes. https://trpcycling.com/product/g-spec-emtb/ Should be in and mounted up by next week. My Focus has two pot XT brakes so we shall see how the TRP's differ, I have test ridden a bike equipped with TRP Quadrium's before and liked how they felt. BTW the LBS looked the brakes up and it didn't show them in stock (they just came out this year) but they called TRP and they are available.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,499 Posts
Shimano XT, 4-piston. These are truly, truly incredible. So strong and so consistent. And easy to maintain.

The other, even more powerful stop-a-train brake is the Magura 4-piston MT7.

Either case, get the 205mm rotors front and rear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Been on a new 2018 Levo for a few rides now and am pretty satisfied with the ride and setup so far for general trail riding. I ride UCSC if you're familiar, and while the Guide RE brakes are sufficient for up top on rolling terrain, they seem a little overwhelmed on the steeps (cobb). Wondering if anyone else has similar experience and suggestions for brakes with more stopping power. It has the 200 rotors front and back and would rather not have to replace those if possible. ???
What most of the prior responses fail to understand is the Guide RE is just a rebranded older Code caliper with Guide R MC. The older Code caliper has the same piston sizes as the current. The Guide R lever is missing the swinglink which brings with it some added power and modulation.

I know all this because I have the same brakes on my Meta Power and while fine for the stuff most ride, the front is underpowered for the very long and very steep. I tried an older Guide RSC lever I has lying around and also got a 223 rotor but I still have to think about the front on the really long steeps (I know UCSC has some shorter steeps, great trails).

Personally I always found the Shimano brakes to be on/off light switches. I'm considering a Magura MT7 for the front. Amazing how 20lb of weight on the bikes dictates an appreciable difference in brakes.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Just thinking out loud... and no offence... but you might have glazed pads or rotors if your Guide RE's lack the power you need. Or maybe you're just heating them up too much, relying on the brakes too much?

I've found my Guide RE's to have really strong stopping power from 30mph-0 in my experience...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just thinking out loud... and no offence... but you might have glazed pads or rotors if your Guide RE's lack the power you need. Or maybe you're just heating them up too much, relying on the brakes too much?

I've found my Guide RE's to have really strong stopping power from 30mph-0 in my experience...
I can't speak for the OP but not for me. I've tried SRAM organics, metallics. Even tried the Trickstuff power pads. Unless you've ridden mile long -40% gradients in the SoCal antigrip you probably don't get it. The Guide REs are good for 99% of what most folks riding, no question.

·
Professional Troll
2,760 Posts
Who even makes 9inch rotors anymore? I can't find anything readily available. I remember I ran some formula 9inch rotors on my DH bike about 7 years ago.

I think if you're under 180 pounds though 203 rotors should be fine on any ebike on steep trails.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Who even makes 9inch rotors anymore?
Hope still makes 225mm rotors.

Also - most of the major brake companies are developing thicker rotors and calipers to handle the demands of ebikes so if you can wait, good stuff will be coming down the pipeline. Stuff that is marketed for the eBike market

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts

Also - most of the major brake companies are developing thicker rotors and calipers to handle the demands of ebikes so if you can wait, good stuff will be coming down the pipeline. Stuff that is marketed for the eBike market
Seeing all the "e-bike" specific product coming out now really makes me feel like the bike market has been missing a trick for quite a while here. The weight difference between my e-bike and my regular bike is 20lbs. The weight difference between me and my brother is about 50 lbs. Meanwhile if I ride an e-bike and he rides a regular bike the market is saying I'm the one who needs stronger brakes, beefier wheels, etc, even though the bike/rider combo will weigh30lbs less and motor assist is capped at 20mph anyway. Just think, this whole "e-bike rated" market could have been explored years ago as a "clydesdale rated" market.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts

I don't know about his bike, but riding my two bikes back to back the power difference between M8020s and Guide REs is significant. The Guides are the opposite of confidence inspiring. Sure they work, and after a while of riding my mind adjusts accordingly, but it's not ideal.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Galfer makes a 223 in 2.0 thick. They just launched it recently...I had to buy it directly from them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't know about his bike, but riding my two bikes back to back the power difference between M8020s and Guide REs is significant. The Guides are the opposite of confidence inspiring. Sure they work, and after a while of riding my mind adjusts accordingly, but it's not ideal.
Good feedback on the Shimanos. I've been super happy with just Guides and 203s on my regular bike for years now. I tried Shimano's years ago and couldn't jive with the lack of modulation. The servo wave is a step function change in leverage rate when the pads make contact. Have they improved modulation/changed the 'servo wave' design?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.