Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to buy a heckler as a primary fun and do-it-all bike for those rides with new friends and new trails. I am a little bit concern about the brake jack problem.

Anyone tried the brake therapy floating kit? How it feels? Is it easy to work with? I have two sets of wheels, one with 240s hubs for XC and one with Ringle hubs for FR, will that troubles me to change to the brake therapy thing, cause it seems I need to modify my hub a little bit...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not a big deal!

Brake system for the Heckler will cost you some big $. What are you riding now to compair it to?

Being a 5" bike, the brake jack is not as big a deal as you think compaired bike with more travel.

I am interested to hear the answers on this subject also though.

TEX

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually everything is still happening in my head only...

I just sold my blur, because of the frozen bearings and the crappy 5th Air shock. And was planning to buy a HT for racing and something more heavy duty for serious hucking.

The HT is going to be a Cannondale F4000SL with the SI crank. I borrowed it from my friend which does need it anymore, and the frame and crank feels way stiffer than anything I've tried, inclued some titanium frame with XTR crank, so I am dropping my money on this frame.

And for the "Heavy duty" one, Heckler was now in the top of my list. I want something that is reliable. The bike that is built for the case which a friend ask you to join him to a new trail that you never been to, you don't know it's going to be a 5 hour climb or some 15footer DH... The list are : Heckler, Supermoto, Nomad, 6.6, 5spot.

Heckler is now in the top of my list for it's reliablity, seems no one had ever broke one! I haven't yet seen anyone with a broken frame! And, the price is really attractive, as I'm going to buy the HT with this one, the bank is very shallow...

HOW DOES THE HECKLER RIDE? I know it's good for anything that's BIG! It's born to be flying. But how about rock garden? How about some really technical single track? Does it ride with the comfort that a 4-bar linkage can give you?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,794 Posts
Ernest Lam said:
HOW DOES THE HECKLER RIDE? I know it's good for anything that's BIG! It's born to be flying. But how about rock garden? How about some really technical single track? Does it ride with the comfort that a 4-bar linkage can give you?
I've been on one for two years and it handles every type of riding I can think of VERY well. XC, tight single track, some light FR, you name it, it feels at home. It is a very efficient climber (and this is NOT, contrary to popular belief, due to the shock alone) The geometry is just sooo dialed that it feels good for everything. It is only limited by the build you choose.

Does it ride with the comfort of a 4 bar? Probably not. It is a little stiff when pedaling over rough stuff. It does stiffen slightly under braking, but I have considered this a non-issue, and I certainly would never consider getting brake therapy for it.

I am actually selling my Heckler to try out a Horst Link design (Azonic Saber). Just itching to try something different. I am really nervous I am making a decision I could regret, but we'll see.

One think I would recomend is avoiding the 5th Element Coil. I think many of my smoothness isues actually come from that shock more than the bike. I considered getting a DHX Air or Coil, but in the end it was cheaper to sell the Heckler a get this new frame.

I don't think you will regret the Heckler, I certainly do not. One of the good things about it is that you can get a new one for about $1000 if you shop around, and if you don't like it I have seen them go for $700 on ebay.

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
I've not noticed any brake jack myself

I had my new Heckler all summer and I have yet to notice any brake jack. This is; however, just trail riding. I didn't get anywhere with chairlift access for a day of gravity fun. It could also be that I don't break through the rough stuff. I just scrub speed right before a rock garden or something, and then roll through with no brakes at all. I haven't ridden any long, downhill rockgardens yet though to be able to comment on that. I also have the fifth coil over and I can't complain about that either. I'm not sure if it really gives a harsher ride than the DHX, or if people just are not taking the time to set it up right. I find mine to be pretty nice overall. I won't consider changing it anytime soon anyways.

So, I suppose my vote is don't worry about brake therapy for the heckler, just ride it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Heckler rides very well in all conditions, Climbs well, and is great fun coming down. The brake jack is only noticeable in very rocky, rooty conditions on the dh part of a trail. As already stated above, this was a non-issue for me. It was slight and not overwhelming in the least. Yes, a HL is a little more supple, but I like the Heckler for the whole package; geometry, toughness, reliability, and performance.

The whole brake jack issue is over blown imo, and I think a brake therapy kit on a Heckler is a waste of time and money that could be spent on upgrading components.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My first Heckler had the fox float and the brake jack was so bad It had me looking at other bikes after one ride. The I tried the 5th coil and it was a whole new bike. It still has a little but every bike has something and it is minor in comparsion to what it has in its favor. The shock feel bottomless nothing over 5" to flat. If you like to climb the 5th rocks I like to mash out of the pedals and if I lock my fork and put some weight on the bars it rips like a hardtail. You can set it up uber plush but you loose some of the platform. Its all a give and take. I have over 1500 miles on my current heckler and my area is bad on bearing ( most locals on blurs are being rebuilt in 4to 6 months) lots of sand. Zero issues with mine:) so far (knock on wood)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.