Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have been really enjoying the Code R brakes on my Heckler. They are very easy to modulate and have plenty of travel to allow for a gradual slowdown. They can also really bite when squeezed hard.

When I get my Rise M20, I’m thinking of upgrading the brakes to Code RSCs. Does anyone recommend any other brakes that have similar levels of modulation feel and stopping power

·
Registered
893 Posts
I like my code rsc although a caliper bit the dust recently. You could try Hayes Dominions. Off the top of my head that would be the only set that I can think that is pretty user friendly and is not going to be more on-off like Shimano (I like Shimano brakes).

Other options that are less user friendly would be Hope and Magura

If you have the money and more importantly the time: TrickStuff

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you work on your own stuff and like quick and easy, Shimano XT's. I've had 2 pairs for close to 10 years, both still in use, couple minutes to bleed without any b.s. or headaches. I do love the feel of sram, but choose shimano on maintenance alone.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
If you like the feel of SRAM brakes, then it does make sense to stick with them.

I'll also mention TRP, as they have a somewhat similar feel to SRAM stuff (TRP is also known for being on the more modulation side of things), and the Hayes Dominion brakes for similar reasons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I concur, your hono(u)rs. sounds like you've found what you like already.

Spending more money for the sake of an upgrade I always like to address something that I want and I'm not getting from my current gear.

I blid my 2yr old set of Clarks M2s a while back and replaced the pads with Shimano g04s. I got the set for like 50 bucks. I like them as well as any other brake I have (except for the Shimano ones that you can flick the levers away from the bars - I just love doing that when I'm climbing) and I've been using them on my camping hardtail for a couple years which has been taken up and down some big shizz before the fam awakens and I'm confined to pump track & blue trail duty. I don't work for Clarks btw. (but hey, I'd never admit it even if I did as they're not that 'cool')

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.