Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so aside from the normal creek crossing or whatever, I don't normally go out on the trails when it is muddy, rainy, or whatever. But since I have a new build and I have been dieing to ride the stupid thing, I went out yesterday. Instead of riding the trails I ended up doing a mix of road and the fire breakers/power lines. It was nothing but mud, slop, and snow slush out there to say the least.

My brakes were squealing quite a bit out there. Now I rode this past Monday in somewhat dryer conditions (still muddy but dryer mud if you will without all the slopping around everywhere) and I know my brakes squealed a little hear and there but nothing compared to yesterday.

I have older BBDB (bb7) brakes w/ stock pads, KCNC 160 rotor in the rear and an Avid clean sweep 203 on the front (there is a story to the 203 that I won't get into).

So is it common to have the brakes really speak up under wet conditions like this? I am only asking as I have been trying to stick it out as long as I can before buying new brakes but it seems like every time I turn around it is something esle. I am on the verge of just buying new brakes at this point. Will be going hydro for the new set up.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
The only time I get noise is when it's wet.

Your pad choice matters too. The BB7 can take sintered or organic. Sintered is way better in the wet as they last longer. They do squeal on that first pull of the brake, but quiet as the rotor dry off from the friction.

If you go for organics, you may get it quieter, but you will find they wear out real fast in the wet and mud.

Avids clean sweep (g2 or g3) are good rotors. I ran them when I had bb7s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.