Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some BB5 disk brakes and my rear brakes squeak almost whenever I use them. I have tried cleaning the rotor with alcohol and they still squeak. The only time they don't is if they're soaking wet. I recently got new organic BB5 pads for front and back, but the back still makes noise. It is pretty loud (and embarassing) and it would be nice to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Bed it in. You can try to expedite the process by sanding the pads in a figure 8 pattern and doing 30 or so hard break-in stops. Or go down a moderate grade while dragging the brake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I braked really hard multiple times going fast and the squeak went away. There must have been a bad part of the pad or something. Anyway, it now brakes squeak free. :thumbsup:

Didn't try the sanding because I wanted to see if there was easier fix first, and it worked.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
The pads prolly were 100% Since every pad and every rotor is slightly different they need to basically "mate" with eachother. After that they fit better and don't make as much noise, plus they're more powerful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.