Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
FYI, I've seen reports of problems when running Shimano calipers with other rotors (and vice versa). Sounds like the Shimano rotors are slightly different size than other manufacturers, which has caused problems for some, but not for others. There is a long ongoing (boring but informative) discussion about this in the Brake Time forum you might want to check out: https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=286460

Sorry if slightly off subject, but I recently replaced my whole brake system with the Avid Elixir CRs, and they are awesome. Fastastic function/form and decent price---and the black carbon w/ red anodized metal looks damn good on the Mojo if you have the black/red motif going.

·
boba
133 Posts
Not much help...but a tip.

When riding, the 08' XT rotors on my Ibis are usually turning fast enough that I cannot tell if they are XT or XTR...so, just don't stop and look at your rotors...

This July, I replaced the worn out XT brake pads (composite pads) with an aftermarket brand of Sintered Metal pads....(the XT pads by the way fit XTR brakes). The original composite pads lasted barely 4 months. The replacement sintered metal pads clearly have more bite, last longer and are quiter when wet ....which it is all winter on the Wet Coast (Vancouver Island)...So, I have no suggestions to make the bike "look better" ,but at least it "stops better".

bob, Comox.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I like the Marta SL rotors made by Galfer for style and performance. Kind of expensive at $60 retail, but worth it for long wear, noticeably more power to modulate without lockup than other rotors changing nothing else (I've compared Hayes and Formula rotors to these), excellent in mud, and quiet.

You'd need a CenterLock hub to 6-bolt rotor adapter, there are many brands available. Although ugly but probably well hidden, the Problem Solver brand looks like it would not have any spline slop issues.

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Would carbon fiber rotors squeal more? Do they need special pads?

CF rotors could be the answer to cure bending and warp issues. No more truing rotors after crashing on the rotor or carelessly laying the bike on a rotor for a ride in the back of a truck.

That floating rotor design looks trick but is necessary?. Does CF expand more than metal from high heat?

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
derby said:
Would carbon fiber rotors squeal more?
Do they need special pads?
That floating rotor design looks trick but is necessary?.
Does CF expand more than metal from high heat?
  • Squeal is eliminated from the disk.
  • Special carbon pads are necessary.
  • The floating design helps obtain a progressive grip between carbon pad and carbon rotor.
  • CF does not experience as much heat build up as metal and does not expand or fade as much under heat build up. It should also grip better wet or cold.
Carbon rules.

those are my guesses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.