Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up a Ibis Mojo SL, and was wondering which brake you would choose on a 5.5" travel bike? Which one do you think has better stopping power, more reliable? Anyone have input on the Hope Mini Pro X2 brakes? I think they are very similar to these new brakes.

NEW Race X2 brake. Final versions will have a carbon lever and top cap, aluminium bolts in the lever, aluminium pad pina dn pad back plate - as well as the usual Ti bolts elsewhere. All in weight is an impressive 275g (including mounts, bolts and rotor)

Formula R1, 270g front, 290g rear, w/ options carbon setup which brings the weight down to 263g.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I don't have a direct comparison as I only have the R1's. My R1's came with steel hardware, not Ti and came in just a few g's over the claimed weight. I'll dig up my sheet when I get home.

I can offer you a comparison between the Formula R1's and Avid Juicy 7's (pretty common and you may have ridden them). The setups were 180/160 and 185/160 (R1/J7), ridden on a 5" Trance X, everything from XC to light AM and I am 210~220 lbs depending on gear. I am a fair weather rider (haha), no rain or muddy rides.

The formula's had about the same if not slightly better stopping power and better modulation. I also love love love the shape of the levers vs. the avids. I don't miss the contact point adjustment at all. After a couple of long downhill segments (several minutes, but not a downhill course) there was no perceivable fade.

My only complaint with the R1's is that getting the pads drag free took awhile, the pad clearance is quite tight. But once it was done they were great. Also, as my set was an early model, they leaked a small amount of fluid from the MC weeping holes. Formula apparently fixed this on the newer models.

No complaints about my J7's, they are great brakes for the money IMO, but I love my R1's.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Hope's, they look nice and get great reviews, but they seem to stress that they are a strict XC brake, while formula hints that their brake can be used for more aggressive riding. Not sure if I'm interpreting it wrong though.

Good luck.

*edit* cheers! has posted a good review on his hope mini pro x2 brakes in the WW forum......

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=483371&highlight=hope+mini+pro+x2

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
How do the power of the two compare. It the new Minis are like the old, no thanks.

When I first got my old school Mini Mono, I thought they were the ****, but now I have some new Avid Elixir CR and they are WAY more powerful than the Minis. My Mini's are old, but I just had a good shop bleed them. I wonder if there is something wrong like greasy pads, the difference is big.

I always thought "so what if you have to squeeze harder". But the Avids are easier to control.

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Civil! Great information. Just reading some more about the formula and Hope brakes, and it seems the Formula can even be in the AM category. It has that much stopping power, compared to similar brakes. I've also spoken w/ Chris Costello of Formula USA and he said, If I order new brakes, he assures me the brakes will not leak. These were only on the early models, as you mentioned. The cost of replacement parts is more expensive, but, I think it may be worth it. Thanks again,

kevin

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Killroy. Great information. I think I'm leaning towards the Formula brakes now. Also, they have had a year to work out the kinks, the new Hope X2 Race brakes may have some teething issues in the first year.

Thanks again,

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.